Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Frozen v. Fresh food

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User
    I am interested to hear what you all do for fruit for your young ones. My 11 month old daughter loves most fruit like papaya, mango, dragonfruit, kiwi etc and I am finding it really hard to find reliable sources for these. I have been to some of the local organic markets but hard to find much beyond bananas. Imported organic is either non-existent or frightfully expensive. (mostly I just find it hard to find a good selection). I would settle for non-organic as long as it was non-China.

What do you all do?

carang is offline Registered User
    much of the fruit (excepting tropical fruit) is from overseas.

my mother used to be the produce manager in a large canadian supermarket. she was always surprised to find that the fruit here was EXACTLY the same as what she got. how could she tell? she saw the boxes they came in.

apples, oranges, pineapple, bananas, grapes, cherries, raspberries, blueberries, melons (honeydew & rock/cantaloupe) were just a few she noticed.

donkey is offline Registered User
    Cyberfish88 I bought organic fruit - for organic apple, pear and banana, you can buy them from Olivers, 360, great, wellcome Repluse Bay, and Parknshop International. For the other ones like grapes, nectarine, cherry etc, I order from Aussie Organic. Since AUS$ is now much lower it is actually not that expensive. Order has to be placed by 1pm on Sunday and they will deliver the following Friday. I have to say the fruit and veggies are really fresh even though they are shipped from Australia.

For soft skin fruit I normally go with organic as they tend to have more pesticide than thick skin ones. Have you heard of the dirty dozen and the clean dozen ? For fruit like pineapple, avocado, banana, orange, papaya, since the skin is thick and the farmers tend to use less pesticide and you don't really need to go for organic (though if i can find I will)

For non-organic fruit I will use a good veggie wash to wash them before consumption. Same as vegetable.

Carang - I read a few threads saying that canned vegetable are no good so I was just wondering. But to be honest, can't really find organic tomato (not from China) and most of the tomato are not ripe and tasty so I am happy to use canned ones.

carang is offline Registered User
    i would say...
    fresh is best
    frozen is next
    canned is last

but that DOESN'T mean that they are BAD for you, they just aren't as great as the fresh variety.

we use canned tomatoes all the time, shepherd's pie, spag bol, eggplant parmasean etc.

donkey is offline Registered User
    Yes I find canned tomatoes are very handy for adult or kids...

MLBW Guest
    Donkey, if you want fresh, vine-ripenened, delicious, organic tomatoes, go through this thread and find the link for the Veggie Van and you can get them that way. Just ate some this past week (well, the ones I ate, I picked myself!) and they were GREAT!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789