Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Anyone bought a Medela electric breast pump from the US?

ladybug is offline Registered User
    Just to clarify, there is a difference between an adapter and a converter. An adapter will fit one type of plug with another but will not convert the voltage. If you step down from a higher voltage to a lower- say 220/240 to 110 you do not need a converter to prevent damage to your machine. If you come from North America or other lower voltage countries, you can damage your equipment by plugging into a higher voltage outlet. Some electronics come dual voltage such as laptop computers and mobile phone chargers. If you are trying to charge a battery on lower voltage it will take longer to charge. If you are trying to run equipment that was designed for 220/240 on 110 volts, it may not run to full power. You can always check what voltage your appliance is on by looking at the power plug or appliance to see what it runs on or if it is dual voltage.

I have a Medela pump in style from the US and I use a converter and adaptor here to run it. You can buy a travel sized one that is universal with all the different plug styles. Mine cost about $30 USD. I don't recommend you experiment to see if your machine will work or not or you will have the same problem that MLBW had. Luckily there was a safety mechanism in her pump plug that prevented it from permanently damaging the machine. If it were a hair dryer, it would have been permanently blown.

capital is offline Banned
    I agree, with lady bug. I didn't realize the difference between the adaptor/converter and fried a hair roller set that way.

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ladybug View Post
    J I don't recommend you experiment to see if your machine will work or not or you will have the same problem that MLBW had.
    Exactly. I am not sure Celki carries converters for the voltage--but I found mine at a local appliance store as I detailed before. It was a lot easier than having to plug one big plug into another adapter and then plug that whole thing in--it may be different with the newer machines, though--for example, the Freestyle. I would still check with the site
    Medela
    and see what they recommend.

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User
    You do not need a seperate converter for the US Medela pump! I was just in Celki last week and their plugs come built in with the proper voltage conversion for HK. (Just tell them you need the HK plug for your pump) It is as simple as that. I think I paid something like 250HK.

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberfish88 View Post
    You do not need a seperate converter for the US Medela pump! I was just in Celki last week and their plugs come built in with the proper voltage conversion for HK. (Just tell them you need the HK plug for your pump) It is as simple as that. I think I paid something like 250HK.
    But...if you buy the pump in the States it may be a different story....like I said before...my pump was not built to run on 220v--but was built to run on 110v and when I plugged in my pump here in HK the pump started pumping a million miles an hour and then the electrical unit fried and burnt out--so clearly some (maybe older) Medela pumps that were bought overseas are not designed to run on 220v without a special converting electrical unit. I wouldn't chance it--now if you buy the pump in HK it's a totally different deal--and possibly if you buy the latest model too.

ladybug is offline Registered User
    I agree with MLBW. My plug on my pump is only for 110 v so it won't just plug into a HK plug. However, when I was last in the US, I bought a flat iron for my hair that was dual voltage. I think a lot of companies are designing their electronics for dual voltage now. My pump is older so maybe, Cyberfish, Medela is starting to manufacture dual voltage on their products. You are quite lucky because I have a bulky contraption to plug in.

Portia is offline Registered User
    MLBW - I bought the adaptor for the US for my Medela pump extra bottles, valves, shields and extra tubing when the original tubing got dirty inside from Celki from Mar 2007 onwards so I don't know what's the latest position. Suggest anyone that is interested should just call Celki to confirm.

Re Cyberfish's post, some Medela pumps are dual voltage. Here's a link with more info about which models and years: http://www.selfexpressions.com/powtranforme.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12