Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Thrush on babies tongue & nappy area

geomum is offline Registered User

Thrush on babies tongue & nappy area

My 9 month old has been suffering from Thrush for the past few months now. It goes away for about 10- 15 days after the treatment and then comes back again. Symptoms are white spots in the mouth and red rashes on nappy area. Her Paed gave her Nystatin oral drops and also Daktacort cream which seemed to work earlier but not this time. Yesterday he asked me to give the medication for another few days, but I read that its not advisable give Daktacort for more than 7 days in any case.
    I am breastfeeding my baby and do not have any visible symtoms whatsoever but I do know that Thrush can exist without causing any symptoms. So on the GP's advise I did apply Daktacort on my nipple area for 1 week.
    Anyone had a similar problem with their baby? What treatment was prescribed? I am quite worried this time since the Thrush is not going away and everytime I clean her poo she cries with pain :((

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

As you are breastfeeding it is important to treat both of you at the same time. If not then you will pass it back and forth between the two of you.

Dr. Jack Newman has an article with self help measures on his web site, Candida Protocol at http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/c...rotocalpdf.pdf

I've been told by a lactation consultant who works in a baby clinic that Nystatin is now only about 50% effective.

Dr. Jack also has an article called Fluconazole (Diflucan) at http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/20pdf.pdf which is meant to be a more powerful drug at fighting thrush but is a lot more expensive. You might like to discuss this option with you doctor.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

frisbee90 is offline Registered User

My lactation consultant gave me the Daktarin oral gel and I used the special Mustela Dermo-Pediatrie "Stelactiv" Rougeurs du Siege cream when my son had the thrush at 5 months. After 5 days treament of the oral gel, the white spot on my son's tongue was much better, it works way better than the Nystatin as it's sugar based, yeast feeds on sugar. About the cream, I've also used the Daktarin cream given by the paed but once I stopped using it, the rash just came back right away and much worse. The Mustela cream is the only one that worked on his little bump. They don't sell it here in HK though.
    Hope your little one would get better since it's really uncomfortable for them.

geomum is offline Registered User

Hi Sarah,
    In the first article Jack Newman talks about Kenacomb and that its safe to apply on nipples and still breastfeed the baby. Is he aware that it is poisionous and everywhere you read on the net it is said that "In case you swallow it, look for emergency medical attention, contact the Poison Information Center".
    I bought the same medication today under a dfferent brandname manufactured here in HK and the words POISON are written in bold on the medicine. Also the leaflet with it says "Unsafe while breastfeeding".

Last edited by geomum; 12-13-2008 at 04:22 PM.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

Well I really can't answer the question of whether Dr. Jack is aware of something or not. His e-mail address is [email protected] if you want to ask him yourself.

Kenacomb is a brand name for a drug which contains nystatin, neomycin, gramicidin, triamcinolone acetonide.

Nystatin - Dr. Hale gives this a lactation risk of L1 = Safest in his book, Medications and Mother' Milk 2008 (page 711).

Neomycin - Dr. Hale gives this a lactation risk of L2 = Safer (page 778).

Gramicidin - I can't find this one! But I think it is the problem

Triamcinolone acetonide - Dr. Hale gives this a lactation risk of L3 = Moderately Safe (page 951).

I know that many of the doctors in Hong Kong use a mixture of Fucidin and Daktacort to make Dr. Jack's nipple ointment - sorry I can't find these in Hale!

Hope this helps,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org