Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

has anyone given their baby Zyrtec?

MilkMonster is offline Registered User

has anyone given their baby Zyrtec?

Went to the dr. because my 7mth old has a cold. fever for 4 days, cough and congestion. I've looked it up online and it seems to have a lot of possible side effects...just want to know if other moms have used it without any problems.

Thanks a bunch!

michtan is offline Registered User
    I been using Zyrtec for all my children age 4, 3 & 1 whenever prescrible by my pd. So far i haven't seen any side effects.

rebekah is offline Registered User
    my 6 month old uses it, works well for her. everything has possible side effects, it's always risk vs benefit...

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    Thanks!! : )
    We are usually a no-drug family when it comes to our kids but this has been a very long spell and my baby is really congested. Just wanted to see what feedback other moms had : ) haha if it were me that was sick i would just load up on cold medication!! When it comes to my kids i'll have to admit i am a little paranoid : )

clowe77 is offline Registered User
    Hi milkmonster, have you tried baby benadryl or piriten? I think Zyrtec and Piriten are the same thing. My 8mo old has used piriiten and it makes him a bit sleepy but that's all - not sure if zyrtec would do the same...

HappyV is offline Registered User
    zyrtec and piriton are both antihystemines, but are definitely not the 'same'.

Piriton tends ot be proscribed for night time use, as it will make children drowsy. zyrtec is stronger and tends to be used during the day. You have to be careful about using them together, as they have different active ingredients.

mosmom is offline Registered User
    my daughter was given zyrtec by her doctor, too, but i didn't use it...
    i used to use zyrtec with regard to my hay fever, and - whoaw - it used to make me sooooo drowsy that i couldn't keep my eyes open!
    was quite surprised that the doc gave this med to my daughter at around 1 year of age, so i skipped it..

HappyV is offline Registered User
    There are different 'strenths' (ie. micrograms per milligram) for adults and children. Just like Panadol, and Piriton and many popular cold/flu drugs. I very much doubt that the dosage/strength would be the same for a child as for an adult!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top