Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To IB or not to IB, that is the question!

bumpkin is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MaiYe View Post
    i'm frustrating whether to put my daughter into a 'traditional school' vs 'IB' school. I would like to train up my girl to be an international leader...having a global civic perspective, being able to think and express freely in Putonghua and English. Aside having good academic standard and all rounded development in music, art & sports. and if possible having a good mix of culture in her learning environment. any suggestion of school pls?

desparate maiye
    Check out ISF http://www.isf.edu.hk/eng/, it is a new school and they claim that they teach children not only two languages but also go way beyond that.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    ESF Primaries used the British National Curriculum before transferring to the IB PYP program.
    The only reason ESF Secondary schools are not 'full' IB schools is that they continue to offer the GCSE syllabus in place of the MYP program.

Give IB another couple of rounds in HK, and you'll stop hearing all this nonsense from parents about how IB is 'not for their kid'. THe OB offers not only the full diploma program, but a range of other options to students who, for one reason or another, don;t cope.

If the school isn't providing the options, then it is the fault fo the school, NOT the IB.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Well I'm one parent who thinks IB is not for everyone. It definitely wasn't for my elder son. He is now about to take his A levels in double maths and physics. He hates English and Mandarin and was very happy to leave them behind after his GCSEs. He loves studying mathematics and already has one A at A level and is likely to get a second in the further maths. There is no way that the IB can compete for him.

At A level he is studying maths for two thirds of his time and if he were studying IB it would only be one sixth. I realize he is a special case as not many people wish to study pure mathematics at a British university but this is what he wants.

I believe that he might be able to get into university to study maths with the IB but the questions I have are:
    * Could he get as good results in IB as in A levels - unlikely as he'd have to study subjects he hates?
    * Would he cope in his first year at university when almost everyone else has studied further maths at A level?

No one who is pro IB has answered these two questions to my satisfaction yet.

Having said that my second son is wanting to take IB. He is much less sure of what he wants to study. But I'd like him to have the option of A levels if we (joint decision) thought it would be best - this seems not to be the case in Hong Kong anymore. My elder son had to go to boarding school in England to get want he wanted as it wasn't an option for him here.
    Last edited by barbwong_130; 12-16-2008 at 09:04 AM.

IB results are treated much 'higher' than A level results at most Western/European universities. Oxford and Cam bridge are quite blunt about it.

A levels are a joke. The HK A levels are much more difficult. As for IB Maths - it's not my subject area, but your best bet would be to ask a teacher who has taught bot systems. I know that for my subject areas, the IB offers the same academic depth as the A levels, but is much more streamlined. The emphasis on how and why we learn is a great learning tool in tiself.

As for a child 'hating' a subject - each to his own. But the failure ti study one's own native language to matriculation is probably one factor in the overwhelming illiteracy amongt university students. Even maths students have to complete project and research based work - hard to do if your writing skills are rudimentary.

MaiYe is offline Banned
    thanks all for your valuable sharing.

can anyone share with me whether or not an 'IB' graduate student gets into top universites easier for some reasons?

i'm considering Victoria Shanghai Academy yet their history is short and it's kind of difficult to judge whether or not their faculty and curriculum is mature yet. Any sharing on Victoria?

desparate maiye

Have a look at the previous 'cut off ' scores for university entrance in the UK and Australia - IB scores rank above the A levels/CVE/HSC in terms of pure % achievement.

geomum is offline Registered User
    Just going out of the way here, but really want to know:

At what age do babies go to pre- school here?
    How long before the baby starts going to pre- school does one need to get admission done here in HK?
    Whats the process for admission?
    And lastly how do grades progress here in the schools?

geomum is offline Registered User
    Sorry I meant to say Kindergarten and not Pre- school

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast