Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

To IB or not to IB, that is the question!

MaiYe is offline Banned

To IB or not to IB, that is the question!

i'm frustrating whether to put my daughter into a 'traditional school' vs 'IB' school. I would like to train up my girl to be an international leader...having a global civic perspective, being able to think and express freely in Putonghua and English. Aside having good academic standard and all rounded development in music, art & sports. and if possible having a good mix of culture in her learning environment. any suggestion of school pls?

desparate maiye

fingerscrossed is offline Registered User
    I suppose every parent wants the best for their children. The thing is, you have to consider your child's abilities and interests too. A lot of the more 'local' schools now offer IB so you may want to look into that. If you want her to thrive in PTH and have a solid understanding of the Chinese language, I'd go local.

canadianinhk is offline Registered User
    I think you have to look at your child and her learning style to help you make a decision. IB is not for every child. If you do choose to go IB make sure you monitor how your child is progressing in this setting. It sounds like what you want for your child fits with the IB philosophy of education but definitely visit the different schools because IB does not mean every school that runs the programme is the same. Ask what curriculum they use and what sorts of assessments they use.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that as far as I know the most bilingual of the IB schools are Kingston International School and Victoria International school. Chinese International School does not have the Primary Years Programme but start IB in the Middle years and offer the diploma programme.

arleneli is offline Registered User
    Try Po Leung Kuk Choi Ka Yau School. They are pretty new but the curriculum is quite like what you mention.

www.cky.edu.hk

many parents are attracted by their curriculum. They run open days too. Try to go to one of them and see if you like them.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    The IB is great. and every school accredited as an IB school DOES run the same 'curriculum' - espeicially in the Diploma years. Teaching approaches may vary, but the educational outcomes are proscribed by the IB board in Geneva.

I get really tired of hearing 'the IB isn't for eveyone.' It seems to come particualrly from parents who resent that the A levels are not so available in HK anymore. Even a mid-range IB score is more valuable in terms of uni application than three As at A-level - because the A levels are quantifiably easier every year.

The IB offers a much more broad education than the A levels, and doesn not restrict uni choices so much. It is a different style of learning, but one much more based on individual critical inquiry than on spoonfed facts and figures.

Ummm actually all IB programmes do not run the same curriculum. The IB provides a framework and a philosophyand schools use their own curriculum which is why ESF uses the British National Curriculum, Canadian uses the Ontario Curriculum etc. At least this is true for the PYP programme.

As for IB not being for all students as a teacher in an IB school I too love the IB programme which is why I have been teaching in an IB school for six years but I have seen some students that do need other options. I have also met parents that in the end really do no like the IB programme.

Gabriel ma is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by arleneli View Post
    Try Po Leung Kuk Choi Ka Yau School. They are pretty new but the curriculum is quite like what you mention.

www.cky.edu.hk

many parents are attracted by their curriculum. They run open days too. Try to go to one of them and see if you like them.

I am interested in this school too. Good training in both Chinese and English. However, I am hestiated by the high school fee (HKD 50000)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast