Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Loss of appetite

putput is offline Registered User

Loss of appetite

My daughter is 8 months old and is suddenly refusing to eat solids. She won't take anything from a spoon but will try dry finger foods....dry as in bread or oven chips! (She grabbed them off my plate and before I knew it she was chewing away at them.) She won't eat her fruit or veg in finger form. My issue is that she has food allergies and I just don't know what to give her to ensure she eats but doesn't have an allergic reaction. She has got diarrhoea since eating bread. She currently has a bug of some sort and is also teething so I'm not sure if her resistance to solids is for one of those reasons or because she wants finger foods. Should I not try anything new and just wait till she's better? This means she'll only be having breast milk for a while. How have others coped with sudden loss of appetite?

noc
    noc is offline Registered User
    I think it is just one of those spells where, as you say, due to teething / bug, she just doesn't want solids. It should be fine, since you are breastfeeding. Mine was like that on and off til about 1, then solid food became quite regular and he liked to have 2 solid meals a day.

putput is offline Registered User
    Thanks noc,

Did you have to feed at night to compensate?

noc
    noc is offline Registered User
    Oh yes, as necessary. If I didn't, he would lose weight. In fact he was teething a while ago, and did lose a couple of ounces. It was so tiring, but what can you do, if your baby is hungry.