Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Depression

SHERMEN is offline Registered User

Depression

Dear mums, I am now quite depressed on my current job. I don't know what to do. Hope you can listen to me. I have been working in a co for 10 years. I am still an assistant Manager to do accounting work, however pretty good pay. I felt very bored on my job. I am around 35 years old. I seem can't see my career path. I am not sure what I can do. There is no promotion opportunity at all. I don't know if I should change job or stay there.

carang is offline Registered User
    no one can answer that question but yourself.

how is your family's financial situation? would you be able to quit work in order to take classes to train for something else?

what would you like to do?

what kind of job would you enjoy to the point that when you wake you don't think, " argh, i have to go to work!" but where you think, "wow! i get to go to work today!"

spockey is offline Registered User
    Hi Shermen

I'm sorry to hear that you are depressed - it's quite normal.
    I know a couple of people who in their thirties have given up on their "careers" and moved into new directions because they felt that they were not feeling fulfilled.

I'm going to second Cara - "take classes to train for something else" BUT if cannot afford it and you think can manage the manic scenario of trying to raise a child and retraining, Why don't you try it? There's lots of online classes around.

Aside from sticking it out at your current job, have you considered looking around? My sister's in accounting (auditing), started at PWC, then moved to Deloitte because she felt like she was stuck in a rut at PWC, then moved to Deutshe Bank (felt the same again) BUT decided to go into a different area of accounting and now, she's finally at another brand named company doing something totally different but still in accounting with slight less money, greater job satisfaction - She's also upgrading her qualifications as an accountant too along the way. So while she always felt stuck in a rut after a couple of years, she upgraded and found something better each time. So, you may not have to give up ALL those years of experience.

I have pretty much done the same, gave up a corporate job to go into teaching (had to retrain) but have moved across three different countries because at times I have felt like I was in a rut too. But each time I moved, I ensured that my situation was different so there was an impetus to upgrade, learn something new or simply experience something new. There are days I get bored (into my third year now in my current position) but I always negotiate with my boss for a new challenge so that I am constantly stimulated. I also constantly try to upgrade my product knowledge (in my case Education).

dear! It's a common phenomenon for many of us who have been working from the get go (after uni) and are in our 30s. So you aren't alone.

carang is offline Registered User
    i used to teach english privately. i did it for about 8 years, at which point i felt TOTALLY burned out. i wasn't enjoying it anymore. as a matter of fact, i distinctly remember finishing a lesson one day and getting into a taxi and crying all the way to the next lesson.

i took a break and studied to be a beauty & massage therapist. i LOVED IT! i opened my own small salon in discovery bay and did it for over a year. however, once my children came along i went back to teaching privately. after the "break" of doind something else, i found that i again enjoyed teaching.

i've since had the opportunity to open my own playgroup. it has been phenomenally successful and i ABSOLUTELY LOVE what i do! i don't wake up in the morning dreading to go to work. i really enjoy work!

maybe you just need a break. if you are a trained accountant, you can always go back to it after a year or two. it's not like money changes and you will have to "upgrade" your skills if you are out of it for a while, right?

zoey is offline Registered User
    Hi Shermen,

I don't think this is only your problem, but a problem faced by some of the working mums, too. Bear in mind that a job is just a boring routine thing that you get paid for it. If you change job now, you need to prepare for the worst. It is real difficult to find a job that gives us great satisfaction (exciting, challenging, not boring at all) and good pay at the same time.

I have recently changed to a new job that's totally different and gives me lots of excitement, but the pay is so much less than before. So, job satisfaction and pay seem to offset each other all the time. Difficult to get both, you've to decide which one you are after.

I agree with Carang that you may need to do something different for some "sparkle" among all the other boring routines.

SHERMEN is offline Registered User
    Dear all, really thanks a lot for your detail sharing. it is very good someone listen and understand. I know that if I really left the current co, i will lose 10 years accumlate benefits like long serv leave. Therefore I am so struggle.

peainpod is offline Registered User
    Hi Shermen, I totally share your feelings about my job too. I've been in it for 10 years as well (maybe it's a 10-yr itch thing?) and while the job has been very satisfying in the past, I don't find it so challenging or satisfying anymore (altho there are good and bad days, depending on what I've accomplished). AND I've just had a baby (now 9 mths) so my home situation has also changed.

Anyway, like you, there's a part of me that really wants to change jobs and another part that's holding back. (I still appreciate the job security and the status/respect I get from my current job as well as a good pay package and (also, I think my current job can give me contacts that may help our child into the kindergarten of our choice.) After some struggle, I've decided to give myself a timeline so that in about 2 years time, when my baby is settled in "school", I will look for a more satisfying but potentially lower-paying job. I think it's important you make some plan for yourself, even if you don't act on it right away, so that your outlook isn't so bleak.