Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Private Native English Teacher Wanted

rob
    rob is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by natwsl View Post
    I live in Ma On Shan and am looking for a private native english teacher for 3 7yrs kids.
    hi my name is rob, aussie born chinese, fleunt in english, canto and mandarin. great with children, currently on my christmas break from uni, if interested please call 61308969 :)

geiboyi is offline Registered User
    But of course many, many people do it. If someone just wants their child to be exposed to English, then I don't think it really requires a qualified teacher. And it appears that Dhanika has teaching experience. (I am now recalling news articles where people send their children to qualified, legal 'teachers' when they get molested and worse. There are no background checks legally required here - any dirty old man can put an ad up in Wellcome and just wait for the kiddies to come round to his house. Shocking, really.)

carang is offline Registered User
    yes, people do it. we were just informing her that there could be serious consequences if she gets caught.

not all private tutors are illegal. my aunt, uncle, and two of my cousins (and i) all do it/have done it. none of it illegally. we all either have work visas, dependent visas or PR.
    Last edited by carang; 01-07-2010 at 08:46 PM.

Elise is offline Registered User
    Sure, any good English speaker can enhance a child's English. But Geiboyi, a rather general claim re molestation. And confusing, as you seem to aim your suspicions at 'qualified legal' teachers but suddenly refer to possible 'dirty old men' posting Wellcome ads - which are clearly not posted by qualified teachers. Most 'qualified legal' teachers in HK are registered with the ED/EMB, and some have registered as a sole proprietorship after submitting a great deal of proof of qualifications and experience AND been required to have background checks. So there is some recourse. But as in all recruitment, the employer needs to be responsible and seek CVs and references.

carang is offline Registered User
    to be fair, just to set up a tutorial company, there are no background checks whatsoever... be it for a sole proprietorship or a limited liability company. (i know, i've owned both.)

b_gabi is offline Registered User
    hi, i tried to send you a PM, not sure it worked out, anyway pls contact me [email protected] regarding the english kessons for your kid
    thanks!

spockey is offline Registered User
    Just to add, almost anyone can be a registered provisional teacher with EDB. There is no real regulation. There is no security check or background check. All you need is the right certificate - as simple as an online TESOL cert. If you are working for a school, learning centre etc., you don't even need one as a provisional teacher. My young staff members are all without teaching certificates and are provisional teachers.

Abuse goes on even if a teacher is registered. There is so safe system in HK. It is very liberal. If you've read the papers of late, abuse takes place even in the high ranks of education.

What matters at the end of the day is reference(s) - especially when dealing with little kids.

English1on1 is offline Banned
    Dear All,

I'm a NET from the States. I've been teaching in HK for the past five years. For the past two years, I've been teaching privately as a nanny and tutor while taking time to care for my own son.

Please PM if any of you are interested or are in need of a tutor.

Thank you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast