Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Can you recommend books for over 3years old?

bumpkin is offline Banned

Above are all good selections. However, you need to take a look at your child's English level first, especially since she is from a non-Egnlish speaking family; and also find out what she is interested in, she may be more advanced in reading subjects she likes and more willing to do so.

Last edited by bumpkin; 12-26-2008 at 12:51 PM.

southside852 is offline Registered User

The Olivia books are wonderful too!

carang is offline Registered User

that's what's great about the robert munsch books, there is a lot of repetition, and within a few readings the kids join in. they LOVE him!

Elise is offline Registered User

As an educator I highly advise parents to read with their children a variety of story books. All of the above suggestions are terrific as well as Pamela Allen, Anthony Browne, Mem Fox. But I also advise my parents and students to delve into fairytales - not just Disney versions! They introduce children to the concepts of good and bad, kind and unkind, etc, all basic character traits that we would like our children to be able to identify, understand and apply, as well as including basic lessons about life through simple non complex adventures. And surprisingly so many have been translated into great movies - fractured or otherwise. Give the good old dependable fairytale a try.

carang is offline Registered User

yes, just beware that the "actual" fairytales can be quite gruesome. you will probably want to go for a watered down version...

and there's nothing like... the prince saves the day and they all live happily ever after, right? remember when life was so simple?

aussiegal is offline Registered User

My 3 year old is currently loving McMagee and the Big Bag of Bread. It is so simple that he is actually trying to read it himself. It's a perfect book for a non-english speaker wanting to introduce english in an easy way.

Personally I think fairytales and other involved or complicated stories (like Dr Seuss) are not a good introduction for someone who not only doesn't speak English but is not even 3. I could just imagine reading Dr Seuss in Japanese to my son. He'd hate it.

Pamela Allen, Eric Carle, Robert Muncsh,Julia Donaldson, Babette Cole are all good recommendations.

dimsum mum is offline Registered User

julia donaldson's the gruffalo and the gruffalo's child, eric carle, robert munch's the paperbag princess has one of the best lessons EVER, what about harry mclarey from donaldson's dairy, goodnight moon (might even be too young), anything dora, charlie and lola....

southside852 is offline Registered User

As a primary teacher, one of the best ways to see what books are good for your child is to take him/her to a bookstore and see what he/she gravitates towards. At that age the most important thing is to spark the love of reading by you reading to your child and giving your child time to just look through a wide variety of books. My son is 1 years old and I love it when I see him just take out books from his bin, sit in the middle of room and flip through pages talking to himself. Yes, sometimes he tears pages and reads upside down, but I can tell he loves reading and loves when I read to him whether it's a story, a poem, a magazine or even the newspaper. Keep in mind though that children at that age of course love pictures and books that have patterns and sounds.

In addition to the above mentioned books, our family also loves:
    1. all Kevin Henkes books (Chester's Way, Lilly's Purple Purse etc...)
    2. Knuffle Bunny by Mo Willems
    3. Click Clack Moo by Doreen Cronin
    4. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
    5. Corduroy Books by Don Freeman
    6. All Leo Lionni books (Swimmy, Frederick etc..)
    7. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin
    8. Caps for Sale by E. Slobodkina
    9. Go Away Big Green Monster by Ed Emberley
    10. all Jane Yolen books

Hope this helps!!

Last edited by southside852; 01-25-2009 at 08:01 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast