Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Advice needed please? - Gastro in 2 year old

mel_g20 is offline Registered User

Unhappy Advice needed please? - Gastro in 2 year old

Would really appreciate any advice.

36 hours ago my 24 month old started vomiting. That stopped after 4 hours but has turned into severe diarreah.

She is only drinking water or diluted sprite, and has eaten some bread and a digestive biscuit.

However, the diarreah continues non stop. She is well in herself, but I was wondering whether I am giving her the right things and how long before her body should right itself.

I was due to fly out of HK this morning for Xmas, but have delayed until Friday now. My son and husband have already gone, so it is just me and my daughter for Xmas tomorrow as a result. I am wondering whether there is any chance she could be improved by Friday. This is the first time any of my kids have had this type of diarreah.

Thanks in advance for any advice

mamaS is offline Registered User
    Hi Mel,

Good i saw your post, hope you can read this and i can be of help.

It's not a simple gastro. It's a gastro virus he got from a playmate.

My 26 month son started vomitting last week middle of the night, i thought he just ate something bad, that day vomitted 3 times so i saw his pedia, who said it's a common virus now and asked me if he has playmate who had it...yes, his playmate had it last week but i did not know it is contagious. The following day he had severe diarrhea for 3 times, watery and liquid. To make a long story short, that was the case for 5 days.

My advice is go see a pedia if you can find one tomorrow, just to make sure it's simple virus, my pedia said there are 2 types, one bad with fever, the other one mild without fever. If mild, give rehydrate salt (pedia will give) every poo. SOFT diet, my son is not eating solids yet for 1 week now. All congee and toasted bread, no fruits nor vege as it has fiber that will trigger diarrhea.

Minimum for this is 3-5 days. One day he was okay, poo once, the next day, he vomitted again. So i rush again to the hospital this time and ready for confinement as he might be dehydrated, but pedia says it's still okay as he poo max 3 times a day (everyday!). It is the first time it happened to him. He became lethargic so i know there was something wrong.

How many times diarrhea now for your daughter? If it's more than 10 times, or 10 times vomit, rush her to hospital.

The playmate he got it from was confined in hospital for 2 days as he vomitted 15 times a day with fever. Then another playmate got it mild, then my son. It is still contagious after 10 days from the onset of diarrhea, so most probably they got it from a playmate.

Good luck, take care.
    Last edited by mamaS; 12-24-2008 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks so much for your reply mamas.

This Christmas has turned into a bit of a disaster for us. My son and husband are already in the Philippines waiting for us to join them for our family holiday, but my son is vomiting too now. I also started too yesterday, but am on the mend now.

Fortunately my daughter is not lethargic, but she isnt eating much, and drinking only a little. She was sick again last night though. The diarreah continued yesterday, but no sign so far, but I think it is because she has had no food.

She has had diarreah for 2 days though, and more than 10 times.I will watch her carefully though, and call the doctor at first sign of dehydration. I wish it wasnt Christmas, as its harder to interupt a doctors holiday. I didnt know it was so contagious. I am busily disinfecting my whole house at the moment, not what I expected to be doing Xmas morning.

Thanks so much for your reply, it really helps knowing other peoples experiences and how they are dealing with it.

I hope your son is feeling much better. And Merry Christmas.

Hi Mel,

Your son got it from your daughter too. If your daughter had 10 times diarrhea now, you can bring her to hospital and usually there are doctors on stand by and can give her medication, well, they don't give medication on diarrhea just the salt water, are you giving it to her now? The only concern is dehydration. If she's not drinking 500 ml as day, or nappy is not wet, then seek advice right away. Sorry, i'm not scaring you, but i know i was scared every time he poo watery.

My son is okay now. Thanks. Merry Christmas too, don't worry, it will soon pass, but you have to do something about it. Do you know if there are other kids she played with who had it?

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Poor you, my bub had a few weeks ago - then I had it (as I'm pregnant I was terribly worried about dehydration for both us). In addition to all the advice above and seeing your Ped/hospital, BRAT is the acronym for foods to give with diarrhea e.g. Bananas, Rice, Apples + Toast. It's the pectin in apples that naturally helps fight bacteria and ease stomach cramps.

MamaS, fingers crossed my daughter is now on the mend. Now just my son to sort out.

Thanks LeahH, I will definately try the BRAT acronym. Thanks both for your replies - especially on Xmas day.

What a terrible sickness to get when pregnant too. LeahH. Glad you got through it. Take care. Mel

Hi Leah and mel,

I gave my son apple but pedia says NO, as it has fibers too that can trigger diarrhea. So i stopped it first. White rice, banana and toast are okay.

Good to hear that your daughter is getting better.