Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby Hammock?

hannah.e.law is offline Registered User

Baby Hammock?

I've nearly decided to go with a baby hammock (like the Amby Baby one) for my first child who will arrive in May, but I can't convince myself to put the money into buying it as well as having it shipped here to HK. From what I understand they are good up until 7-8 months for sleeping (and the Amby Baby one has a toddler bouncing seat too?).

Anyone currently using it who would be willing to sell/rent it to me second hand when your child outgrows it? Or maybe you want it back for second child, whatever, I'm sure we could work something out. Anyone have any other thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

Hannah

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I just had an Amby baby hammock shipped from Australia. All in all it was less than $350 CAD (thank u weak aussie dollar!), even less than I expected. I consider it worth it, especially if you might have another child.
    It says for up to 24 months, which sounds ridiculous - I`ve heard more like a year max, but it depends on the baby. I`m hoping mine will love it and sleep in it as long as possible, but your estimate sounds about right from what I have heard from experience.
    Good luck in your search, but I don`t think it`s a bad investment if that`s what you really want.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    I would second Shenzhennifer - it's been invaluable - totally worth the money for us and I am about to use it for my second. First was in it up to 7 months, but others I know have used it longer (up to a year). I did look for a second hand one initially on asiaexpat and ebay, but bought new from Aust. when I couldn't find one. You might be lucky though!

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Hi, I am keen on the Amby hammock for baby no.2. I recall with baby no.1 that breastfed babies do very runny poo necessitating very regular changes of sheets!

Can anyone tell me what type of sheets can be used with the Amby hammock? Do you need to buy special Amby fitted sheets or do standard fitted cot sheets suffice? Can you fit the matress into a pillow case?

LeahH is offline Registered User
    You use the Amby sheets as they're fitted to the mattress. That said, they are sort of pillow case shaped (but quite long) so a big pillow case might do. Maybe order a few of the Amby ones and you can always get more done at a tailor here if need be. However, their sheets are made of raw, untreated cotton which has been a reported as one of the potential factors in the zero number of SIDS cases in Amby's. My bub was fed Expressed BM exclusively but never had the runny poo issue - you may be lucky with no. 2!

hannah.e.law is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the input guys and gals! I guess I'll keep my eyes open for a used one for a while, but will buy one new if time get short before I find one! Finger crossed!