Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

cord blood banking

jaceesperanza is offline Registered User

referral

Little bird pm me your name so I can quote you as my referrer if we do decide to push through with cordlife. We might go there next week to check it out :)

momandwife is offline Registered User
    I replied just now, but says need administor for approval.

Anyway, I wanted to say, CBR is the No.1 largest bank, Viacord is the 2nd. I wouldn't use any smaller bank. You need a bank with stability. Smaller banks can go bankruptcy and lose your baby's cord blood.

momandwife is offline Registered User
    Let me try again without any web links:

When I got pregnant, I decided to bank the cord blood for my children for medical reasons. My father-in-law died of leukemia at the age of 53. So I definitely wanted to bank cord blood for my kids.

I used CBR (Cord Blood Registry) both times. Their service was great. Both times their medical courier picked up the kit from my room one hour after my delivery. The next day CBR emailed me to inform me that my baby's cord blood was successfully banked. I view it as an insurance for my children. So glad that I did it.

CBR's price is very close to Viacord, actually a little lower. Both are around $2000 to start with, and $125 a year afterwards. Coupon code M9999 saves you $250 when you enroll with CBR

CBR is the biggest private bank for cord blood. Viacord is the second largest. I wouldn't go to any smaller cord banks. Need a bank with stability. Cryo-cell is a lot cheaper, but they store all the cord blood in St. Petersburg, FL.Won't be any good if hurricane comes.

Banking cord blood is a great thing, but it is not cheap. I am sure more people would have done it if were not for the high cost.

If you could afford it, I would say go for it. If money is an issue, do not worry about it. You can always donate it to benefit others. But at least please donate it if you are not going to bank!

A little more of my personal stories:

The reason that I wanted to bank cord blood for my kids was because my father-in-law died of Leukemia. (He died within 6 months after the initial symptom emerged, and he was only 53 years old) Even though I know it does not get passed to the next generation, I was still scared to death. So no matter how much it cost, I had to do it.

My father-in-law did have bone marrow transplant. No one in the family was a full match. The closest match they could find for him in the nation was 5/6 match. Doctors gave him the option: he could choose to die in a few months, full of pain, or he could try the bone marrow transplant, with about 30% chance of survival. He decided that he was too miserable going through the chemo therapy everyday, so he betted on the transplant. It was not a full match, and it failed. He left us for ever a week after the transplant. I keep on wondering whether he could have survided if he had a full match.

meowmeowcat is offline Registered User
    Dear Littlebird,

Kindly need your help to refer me in joining the cordlife. My email is [email protected]... We could talk more in details. Thanks!

Rebecca

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12