Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Toothbrushing, toothpaste and little teeth

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User

Toothbrushing, toothpaste and little teeth

So when did you all start brushing your LO's teeth? And how did you do it? Did you use toothpaste? I have read some places not to use toothpaste (don't want them ingesting it) and other places so to use it.

I just started "brushing" my LO's teeth a few weeks ago even though she has had teeth for a few months now. I use the term "brushing" loosely since she really just chews on the toothbrush for a few minutes and thinks its all a game. She now has a grand total of 6 with 2 more fast approaching. So far I have not used any toothpaste because I really don't want her eating it.

What are others doing with regards to dental hygiene and new teeth?

peainpod is offline Registered User
    We just started brushing as well. When I say "started", I mean we just bought a toothbrush and toothpaste set for babies. Bubs just HATES it when I even try to clean his teeth with a wet cloth (he has 6 teeth now) so I'm not sure how successful we'll be. Anyway, we're starting tonight...

The brand we bought is the Biotene First Teeth baby toothpaste/brush. That toothpaste has no fluoride so it's supposedly safe for babies to ingest. I'm told even if they just chew on the brush a little bit (rather than proper brushing), it should help clean the teeth.

carang is offline Registered User
    i must confess that i never REALLY started to brush my kids' teeth until they were around 18 months. by that time they had figured out what "candy" was and how much they liked it.

my son, almost 4, now REFUSES to go to bed without brushing and his little sister, almost 2, follows suit.

in our bathroom, i have a small bench/shelf that they both stand on. i put a TINY amount of toothpaste on their brush and i do the brushing... when i'm feeling less rushed, i let them brush themselves but ALWAYS follow up on it. my girl LOVES to brush her teeth and would happily brush them all day long... although it's more of sucking the toothbrush than any real cleaning going on!

MLBW Guest
    We started "brushing" our son's teeth before he had any--to clean his gums. We used a little soft silicone toothbrush that goes over your finger to massage his gums. Now he is 13 months old and has about 10+ teeth. I started using a real toothbrush with him when he was about 8-months-old. It is a children's toothbrush that fits his hand. After we eat breakfast I go and brush my teeth and quickly brush his for him and then let him "brush" his teeth by holding the toothbrush and chewing on it--he also tries to help me brush my teeth. He knows what a toothbrush is for and when I get it out he opens his mouth although he will only let me do the basics--a few swipes on the bottom and top teeth. We do not use any toothpaste and probably won't until much later.

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Our 13 month old has 14 teeth. We started brushing his teeth when he was 7 months old and had 6 teeth. We put a very small amount of toothpaste on the brush.

Basically he absolutely hates having his teeth brushed so what I do most evenings is just let him chew the brush (usually the wrong end!) and then wipe his teeth over with a wet cloth to try to clean them a little better.

Every now and then (perhaps once every 10 days) I brush his teeth properly. This involves holding him firmly in place and basically forcing him to submit to the brushing. This is no fun for either of us but I have found it neccessary to remove a brownish film that builds up over time.

I am very encouraged by Carang's children who love teeth brushing. I only hope my little one is like that in another year or so!

carang is offline Registered User
    i did try brushing their teeth when they were younger with one of those finger thingys....but it was a nightmare.

i figured that it was better to wait until they were ready to do it and not make it into a struggle. i am glad that i waited.

my almost 4 year old now is terrified of not brushing...i've told him if he doesn't his teeth will turn black and fall out.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    we started around 11 months. my son is now a year old with 8 teeth. we bought the finger toothbrush and he usually tries to just bite it and lick it. we clean his gums and front teeth....

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Yes, my concern is that by turing things into a struggle I will make him hate brushing his teeth. However, I notice that when I don't give his teeth a good clean about every 10 days I can definately see a brown/yellow layer of gunk on them. Therefore I am not sure that I see any alternative but to force a good clean every now and then.

Carang, did you notice this with your children? Perhaps my son is more prone to decay than your kids?? He doesn't have fruit juice or sweets but I know that some children are prone to decay regardless.

Any advice appreciated....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast