Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

1st pregnancy - Anxious!

Marufa is offline Registered User
    Thank you ladies. Got to get myself mentally prepared for the pain, stitches or no stitches. This morning sickness is really bearing me down and I am having nightmares at night. Perhaps because I have never been to a hospital before in my life, except when I took my vaccinations when I was a baby. I am just terribly anxious now.

I feel for you Carang, I hope I really dont have to go through all those checkups. Wish me luck! What does an antenatal checkup comprise of? Are they going to take long? Do I need a scan? ( I am about six weeks pregnant)

carang is offline Registered User
    if you go to a private doctor it might be a little different, but at the public clinics they:
    1)test urine for protein, glucose etc
    2) check the blood pressure
    3) as you get bigger measure the tummy
    4) feel the tummy
    5)perhaps a vaginal exam

once you get to about 11 weeks or so, they'll listen for the heartbeat

in the public system, if everything is going according to plan, then you'll have a scan around 12 weeks and a major scan around 20 weeks. if there are complications, then you will have more scans. i've heard from friends that have gone private that they had a scan every time they had an appointment.

the actual appointment doesn't take long, but the wait can be up to 2 hours! so, take a book!

as for morning sickness, if it is REALLY unbearable, as mine was (lost 20lbs+ in the first 3 months!) ask the doctor for something to take the edge off. it doesn't eliminate the sick feeling but it does take the edge off, so at least you can eat.

good luck!
    ps> when i look back, it doesn't seem so bad... i got 2 absolutely wonderful children out of it! that's a fair price in my opinion.

Thanks Carang. I feel so much better knowing that the first test is not that complicated at all. I was loosing sleep over it.

chrissy2 is offline Registered User
    Dear Marufa,

Im pregnant and live at Tung Chung as well. This is my first baby, and Im also away from home, Im from Canada. Anyways if you want to consider a Private Hospital, Im going to use the Baptist Hospital, I already went to go look at it and its a very nice hospital and not too far of a care ride from Tung Chung. the prices for the packages for natural delivery are Standard room: $15,880.00, Standard plus 19,800.00, Semi Private 23,880.00 Private 33,800.00 the charges include the room for 3 nights/4days and all natural delivery charges for the doctor and hospital. You will also need to choose a doctor the one Im using is at Quality Health Care at maritime Square, he is very good and caring, Dr.Lam Man Ho. If you want a c section you have the choice at a private hospotal but at a public hospital you have to go natural unless an emergency occurs and they have to perform a c section (that is what I have heard anyways) but at a private hospital you have the choice before hand but keep in mind a c section is very expensive packages starting from 17,800-38,000.00 HK dollars. I hope this has helped.

Thank you, this has really helped. My husband wanted me to go Fu Tung Clinic near the citigate for the antenatal checkup but the first time I went there to get an appointment I was not very comfortable.

I also wanted to get acquainted with a hospital too as soon as possible and therefore suggested to my husband that I could have my antenatal checkup. Since we are opting for Princess Margaret for the moment and I am still petrified of a normal birthing process, I think getting acquainted with a private hospital too is a safe bet. I guess Baptist hospital should be nearer than the Sanatorium and the prices seem reasonable too.

I had no idea that Maritime Square has a clinic too. Since you liked your checkup there, perhaps it might be better for me to go there than the Fu Tung for an antenatal checkup until we can decide on whether to go for prenatal at Princess Margaret or a private hospital.

My husband thinks its better to be acqainted with a clinic closeby for emergency purposes and therefore suggested Fu Tung. I am still not comfortable but do you think its necessary to have acquaintance with a nearby clinic? In my country, once you get an antenatal checkup done, you can call the doctor anytime in case of discomfort during the entire pregnancy period. How does it work here?

steffycastello is offline Registered User

stopping stretchmarks

I am pregnant and want to know if anyone has had any luck with skin care for stopping stretchmarks? I have heard that some are not safe to use and can harm my baby but I am so confused by which ones are ok and actually work to prevent stretchmarks, as I happily grow into my 9 month bump!

Polly is offline Registered User
    Do read up about your birth options so that you can make an informed decision, rather than doing something that worked for someone else but may not necessarily work for you. I had a normal delivery and took advantage of an epidural, which basically took away my labour pain. I had very little discomfort afterwards, despite an episiotomy, and just needed a few doeses of regular paracetamol for the first couple of days whilst still in hospital. I was able to breastfeed my baby right after birth, whereas it would be very difficult after a C-Section when you need assistance and in the public sector; they're not going to be able to do that and your baby will be whipped off to the nursery no doubt instead of happily nursing with Mum.

carang is offline Registered User
    would be strange if a product specifically made for a symptom of pregnancy would be harmful to pregnant women.

stretch cream is basically just a moisturising cream....

remember, when you buy them to also apply to your boobs, as they stretch too, that's where most of my marks are.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast