Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

How Much Milk for a 13 month old?

sherwes is offline Registered User

How Much Milk for a 13 month old?

Hi, my 13 month old boy is now eating 3 good meals plus snacks every day. He eats a wide variety of meat (beef, lamb, chicken etc, fish, lots of vege, lots of fruit and cheese. Basically he has a normal diet except we don't give him spicy food or sushi!!

Once he started solids at 6 months he dropped to 3 bottles of formula per day. At 13 months he is still taking the 3 bottles. Usually he drinks 240mls before breakfast, 180mls at about 3pm and 240mls just before bed.

I am wondering if I should drop the afternoon bottle and give him a snack at 3pm instead?

Do any mothers have any thoughts as to how much milk a 13 month should be drinking? He's is healthy so his current diet is obviously not hurting him but I am just wondering when toddlers should start to cut down on their milk intake?

blackxima is offline Registered User
    Hi, I also have a 13 months old. He also eats very well during the day including snacks, just like yours. It's just that mine doesn't drink milk during the day. He just refuses it no matter if that is a cow milk or formula. I still brest feed him at night, so I am not too worried (stilll I try to make him drink some, yet not successful). I've heard that if your baby eats very well, you should at least change your formula to cow milk or follow-up formula, since drinking milk and eating very well tend to make your baby's daily intake a little bit too much as milk itself already is a meal. Other than that, I think it's good that your baby drinks well.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    I dropped the afternoon milk and changed formula for cows milk at 12/13 months. Now, at 16 months, she has 180mls in the morning and 210 at night. Like yours she eats a variety of food - lots of yoghurt and cheese so is getting enough calcium etc.

denis is offline Registered User
    My son is 9 months old, I was suggested by his dr to give him a baby yogurt every afternoon around 4 pm. He is ok with it. Even sometime i put a little bit farleys rusk into his yogurt.

Mommy Poon is offline Registered User
    Can you let me know what type/brand of cheese is good to give to a 9 month old?

Also, my baby is have 3 solids a day and 4 milk intakes (each time at least 200ml). is he eating too much?

weishy is offline Banned
    Hi ladies:my girl's also 13 months old and is havng ony 2 milk intake per day(morning and night~250ml/300ml)
    she takes her yogurt/oatmeal every morning,lunch then dinner,ony snacks is biscuits.

she takess cheese in her food or by hand( meiji,think u can get it from jusco?)

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the responses ladies. I think I will gradually cut out the mid afternoon bottle so that my little one is having two bottles per day. I'll give him a bigger snack in the afternoon instead.