Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hospitals...

sarah+ is offline Registered User

Hospitals...

Hi there,

I thought choosing and booking a hospital in HK to deliver in, would be the easy part... I've just learned otherwise!

My dr (Joe Chan) tried to book me at Matilda on the eariest day allowable and was told they were already full. How can this be? (I was 7 weeks). I'm told they devide the month into two halves, and I am due right at the start, so I'm confused re how it could be full already? Do some doctors get priority over others? What am I missing here?

I was successful in getting a place at Adventist, but have heard that this hospital is less suitable for westerners, and that Matilda is really where I need to be as many of the nurses at Adventist are not fluent in English and they don't focus much on breastfeeding post delivery. Any expereines to share would be appreciated.

Also, when making the bookings at both hospitals, I tried to reqest a private room, but was told that only a 'place' is reserved, and that I'd only find out on the day if I was in a private room or room or 4 etc. Is there any way of gaurenteeing a private room?

Queen Mary is just up the road. Any experiences of their private wing?

Sorry for the long post, but this all has me a little worried.
    Thanks

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Hi Sarah+,

I'm not sure about how the months are divided into two halves, but it is possible for hospitals to be fully booked up. Perhaps having a doctor with stronger connections at the Matilda might be better, but I'm not sure if that in itself is a guarantee either.

As for guaranteeing a private room - I think it's the Adventist only that has the situation you describe. Matilda and QM can guarantee a private room upon booking. As for the private wing of QM, I know that the cost is comparable to that of Matilda, but unfortunately have had no experience there. The only think I can tell you from my own experience is that if there are any signs at all of a problem pregnancy I would deliver at QM since private hospitals are great for the home, but not for the baby since they are not as well equipped whereas public hospitals are (as they serve a larger population).

just my thoughts....hope this doesn't confuse you more!

Lozz83 is offline Registered User
    Hi Sarah+,

I delivered my baby at Adventist last July and I couldn't have asked for a better experience! I found that all of the nurses spoke really good english and they were absolutely lovely. They were all very pro breast feeding and they spent a lot of time with me whilst I battled to breast feed my baby. I had a c-section and soon as I was taken back to my room my baby was bought to me for me to feed him.

I admit, I was the only western woman there during my stay and the hospital was full. I know of quite a few western women who have delivered at Adventist and they have all had good experiences - I believe that Adventist is just as good as Matilda, there is this huge image thing with Matilda in HK.

You cannot reserve the room you want at Adventist but chances are you will get the room you want. If you are having a c-section just call them up the day before your scheduled c-section to see if the room you want is available and admit yourself then, get all the paper work done and go home for the night then come back a few hours before your c-section. That's what I did, and I got the room I wanted - thanks to my doctor's recommendation.

I hope this is of some help and don't worry about all this, just enjoy your pregnancy - it will be over before you know it!

dimsum mum is offline Registered User
    hi sarah+

i have heard that there are always cancellations at the matilda, so your chances of getting in are very good. i have had several friends who have been waitlisted (all much later into their pregnancies and none with the drs who exclusively deliver at the matilda) and all got spots at the matilda confirmed by midway through their second trimester.

in 2004 i stayed in the adventist for 12 days with a pregnancy related condition. i found the staff there excellent and very helpful, no language barrier problems at all.

lastly, joe chan is a GREAT doctor. he was my surgeon a few years ago and he was excellent. great bedside manner.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    If you book a private room at Matilda, at worst you are in a room for multiple people all by yourself. We had that for a day, before moving to the private room for one.
    The BF is an issue at some hospitals, as is access to the baby so check around.

MisB is offline Registered User
    I toured Queen Mary Hospital on Saturday and was pleasantly pleased with how it was run! Another plus of QM is this is where you are brought if there are any complications You can request a Private Room when you are going into the hospital but a first come, first serve basis. They also have Private Twin rooms. Limited beds in the Private Wing. The cost in the Private Wing at QM is just as much as Matlida.
    QM has to admit you and deliver the baby as they are a government hospital!!
    So sorry to hear about your booking trouble. Do some doctors really have more pull?? Sounds ludacris. =)

woodstock07 is offline Registered User
    Yes, it is possible. My clinic tried to book a bed for me when I was 6.5 weeks and Sanatorium, Canossa were full. I got a confirmation from Adventist and St Paul and will have to decide by paying a deposit by end of this week. I read lots of good things about Adventist. I toured St Paul this afternoon and feel that the place is quite old (older than Sanatorium) but I will probably choose St Paul as I'm not prepared to pay the high costs at Adventist.

sarah+ is offline Registered User
    Thanks for taking the time to give me all that great info everyone :)

I do tend to agree that if I go on the list for Matilda, the chances are good as there are quite a few expats heading out of HK at the moment.

Also good to hear about positive experiences at Adventist.

My appointment with Dr. Chan was changed to Thurs, so hopefully we can sought it out then. I think we may just end up paying the Adventist deposit, and hoping we can get it back (which I hear mixed stories about!) if we get Matilda in a couple of months.

Thanks again
    Sarah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast