Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Advice for travelling to Hong Kong / Asia with 10 mo from Canada

bbearmami is offline Registered User

Advice for travelling to Hong Kong / Asia with 10 mo from Canada

hi all,
    i'm from canada,
    we'll be travelling to Hong Kong in mid Feb :yeah2
    - early march to see my grandma and my DS' grandparents for 3 weeks...we might go to macau too.
    our son will be 10 mo then, he's now 8mo & 24lbs,
    i'm suspecting he'll be around 26lbs then.

at this point i'm sure i'll be bring our ergo baby carrier coz its sth both of us can wear and our DS loves bf'n in it and sleeping.

i'm very used to bf'n in public with nursing cover & LO in ergo here in canada, but afraid BF is not too popular in asia and get weird looks...
    should i be afraid?

i wanna ask:

1. what happens on the plane for LO?
    i recalled 13 yrs ago with my little sister, they had a bassinet to put baby in where the tv projector is, and requires baby to be secured in the bassinet there when broading & landing...but what are the rules nowadays?
    2. should we bring a light-weight umbrella stroller?
    3. will there be any changing stations in the restrooms in Hong kong?
    4. should i bring our booster seat?
    are boosters or highchairs available in restaurants?
    5. pampers cruisers available there? or should i bring enough for the trip?
    6. how much clothes to bring for a 3 week trip?
    7. how hard will it be to bring along umbrella stroller and take public transit in hong kong? will we be able to take the MTR?
    8. any vaccinations required for this trip for LO?
    9. what will the weather be like then in early march?

thanks alot~~~

southside852 is offline Registered User
    some answers to your questions are below in caps. have you traveled with your baby before and on an airplane?

i recalled 13 yrs ago with my little sister, they had a bassinet to put baby in where the tv projector is, and requires baby to be secured in the bassinet there when broading & landing...but what are the rules nowadays? YOUR BABY IS QUITE HEAVY SO NOT SURE SHE WILL BE ALLOWED IN BASSINET AS THERE IS A WEIGHT LIMIT. BEST TO CALL YOUR AIRLINES.
    2. should we bring a light-weight umbrella stroller? YES, HK IS NOT VERY PRAM FRIENDLY SO YOU HAVE TO EITHER DRIVE OR TAKE TAXIS EVERYWHERE.
    3. will there be any changing stations in the restrooms in Hong kong? YES, TRY AND CHANGE IN SHOPPING MALLS AND HOTELS ETC....WELL TRAVELED AREAS ARE OBVIOUSLY CLEANER, USE YOUR JUDGEMENT BECAUSE SOMETIMES IT'S JUST EASIER TO CHANGE YOUR BABY ON THE SEAT NEXT TO YOU.
    4. should i bring our booster seat? NO - MOST RESTAURANTS HAVE THEM
    are boosters or highchairs available in restaurants?
    5. pampers cruisers available there? or should i bring enough for the trip? - HK SELLS PAMPERS AND HUGGIES. JUST BRING ENOUGH FOR FLIGHT AND PERHAPS FIRST DAY SO YOU HAVE TIME TO SOURCE THE CLOSEST PHARMACY, MARKET THAT SELLS THEM. ASK YOUR HOTEL AHEAD OF TIME WHERE IS THE CLOSEST PLACE.
    6. how much clothes to bring for a 3 week trip? THAT IS UP TO YOU.
    7. how hard will it be to bring along umbrella stroller and take public transit in hong kong? will we be able to take the MTR? MTR IS GREAT HERE AND VERY CLEAN. DEPENDS WHERE YOU ARE LOCATED.
    8. any vaccinations required for this trip for LO? CHECK WITH YOUR PEDIATRICIAN.
    9. what will the weather be like then in early march? MARCH SHOULD BE BEAUTIFUL AND GOOD TRAVEL WEATHER. PERHAPS ALL YOU WILL NEED IS A LIGHT JACKET FOR YOURSELF. you can always check online too.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    The only things I'd add are that some child seats don't fit babies under 1 very securely, we carry a totseat (material sling) that can be used with any chair alone, or for added security with a booster.

On the plane, as southside says, it depends on your airline. BA have an actual seat for babies too big for the basinette that fits in the same place (up to 18 months). Some basinettes are bigger than others and they won't so much worry about weight, as whether your baby fits inside ok. I've seen lots of bigger kids with their feet hanging over! But, for takeoff, landing and turbulence bub needs to be belted to your belt - your lucky he likes the ergo to sleep and eat, that should makes things much easier.

babymommy2 is offline Registered User
    i recalled 13 yrs ago with my little sister, they had a bassinet to put baby in where the tv projector is, and requires baby to be secured in the bassinet there when broading & landing...but what are the rules nowadays? It depends on the woight of the baby, I think it is only for 20 lbs and under, but once we flew with that air line that went out of business last spring (can't remember the name) they gave us the bassinet and our "baby" was almost 2 years old! The down side to the bassinette is that you can't raise the arm rests on those seats.

2. should we bring a light-weight umbrella stroller? YES!! If you can bring one that has a canopy and a basket for storage. In hong kong you can easily buy hooks to add on to the stroller to hang shopping bags off of.

3. will there be any changing stations in the restrooms in Hong kong? Few and far between. We often had to change the baby in the stroller.

4. should i bring our booster seat?
    are boosters or highchairs available in restaurants? lots of restaurants have booster seats
    5. pampers cruisers available there? or should i bring enough for the trip? I only brought enough diapers for a few days and bought there. I dont' know if the specifiaclly have that brand, I use huggies or whatever I found.

6. how much clothes to bring for a 3 week trip? That depends on whether you have access to a washing machine.

7. how hard will it be to bring along umbrella stroller and take public transit in hong kong? will we be able to take the MTR? When getting of the train stay near the door and then it is easier to get off teh train in a crowd. There are often wheel chair spots near the door, so there is extra room. A stroller on a bus is a pain as you have to take your child out and fold it up. there are some elevators but it is a pain to find the elevator in teh MTR station,but you will soon get used to using the stroller on the escalator (something I would never ever do in canada, but I do in HK). I would definatly bring a stroller, you will walk so so so much. It is great to have the ergo, but if you are walking a lot you will want the stroller. The city is very stoller unfriendly as compared to Canada, so be prepared to carry it up and down some stairs. The lighter the better. The local strollers are very small compared to N. American ones.

8. any vaccinations required for this trip for LO? We got Hep A shots, I can't remember if you have to be 6 months or 1 year old for that.

9. what will the weather be like then in early march.

babymommy2 is offline Registered User
    Forgot to add that I BF baby eveywhere and anywhere in HK.

NYCMel is offline Registered User
    i've actually found that changing stations have never been a problem for us. if you are unsure always go to a hotel or shopping centre - The Landmark, 360 Market has one, Pacific Place, Prince's Building, IFC etc...all have adequate changing stations. As usual, use your judgement as some are not that clean and you can of course immediately tell. In that case, just change her in the stroller as babymommy2 said or on the seat next to you.

carang is offline Registered User
    DO NOT bring diapers... you will have no luggage allowance left for anything else... diapers are VERY heavy!

you shouldn't have much trouble, relax and enjoy!

almost everything is available in hk, at a price, so really, if you forget something, you should be able to find it here.

the other mums have answered all of the other questions fairly thoroughly, so i wont' repeat what they've already said.

carang is offline Registered User
    DO NOT bring diapers... you will have no luggage allowance left for anything else... diapers are VERY heavy!

you shouldn't have much trouble, relax and enjoy!

almost everything is available in hk, at a price, so really, if you forget something, you should be able to find it here.

the other mums have answered all of the other questions fairly thoroughly, so i wont' repeat what they've already said.