Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby Kicking question

piper is offline Registered User

Baby Kicking question

I'm curious when I will actually start really feeling the baby kick/movement.
    Sometimes, I think I do feel a bit of a movement, but its so quick and not very frequent that's its really hard to say.
    I should also add that I had my amino done 2 weeks ago, so the anxiety(of miscarriage) is very overwhelming. If there were any complications - would I be able to tell? i.e...bleeding, cramps etc seeing that I'm 19 weeks. Even if I didnt have the amino - I'm also curious when I would really start feeling the kicks.

Please advise. Thanks so much.

Anxious,
    Piper

tstmum is offline Registered User
    If you are anxious about anything at all, you should call your obstetrician or midwife for reassurance and advice.

With my first, I felt definite kicking at about 20-21 weeks, but with my second at around 15 weeks because I knew what it felt like.

carang is offline Registered User
    yes, the rule of thumb is you feel the kicks of the first later than those of the second... however, this isn't quite right as you DO feel the kicks around the same time, but when you are pregnant for the first time, you don't really know what they feel like....

trust me though, by about week 30, you wish the babe would stop playing football on your bladder! LOL!

MLBW Guest
    I felt my baby move (not kick-but a definite rolling movement) for the first time that I was sure about it at about 12 weeks--with my first and only child--by 5-6 months he was moving all the time. Every person is different and I've heard/read that every child is different. I think the HK maternity system can do a good job of adding unnecessary stress by making the mom worry about every little thing--by treating pregnancy as an illness and acting as if every pregnancy is high risk--which isn't the case. I know that the first time I saw my OBGYN and had my pregnancy confirmed she just started firing off a laundry list of tests I "had to have" (most of which I opted not to do and my son was fine and is healthy)--she made it sound like at any moment disaster could be raining down upon us. I quickly learned to listen to her ask for a second opinion (I often e mailed two trusted baby nurse friends from the States as well as a doctor friend) and trust my intuition. So, while talking to your doctor is good sometimes--that depends on what type of doctor you have. My advice--relax--if something really goes wrong--you will know it. If you have pain or abnormal bleeding--those are signs to watch for. I started spotting early in my pregnancy and freaked out too--I called a friend who had had a child and also a later miscarriage. She said that when you miscarry early in your pregnancy you bleed a lot--you will know she said. As long as you're doing everything you can to stay healthy--eating right, sleeping, seeing your doctor, taking vitamins--relax--you're doing what you can and your pregnancy is going well. Just tell yourself that.

piper is offline Registered User
    Dear ladies,

Thanks for your advice. This has been really helpful. Especially this wkend seeing that hubby is off on a bus trip for a week. I'm feeling alot better and def trying my best to relax.

Piper