Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Learnng to breastfeed again?

MuffinBump is offline Registered User

Learnng to breastfeed again?

I gave birth about a month ago and my eczema flared up a few days after the birth. Together with recovering from a c-section, I was irritable and reluctant to breastfeed directly in these initial weeks.

I was pumping initially and feeding via a bottle and the milk supply was OK - now my milk supply has wind down and baby is getting more formula.

However, I would like to kick start breastfeeding again (even if it is only twice a day or something) - are there any ways I could increase my milk supply again? I understand it's probably hard for me to breastfeed completely again now, but hope the baby can at least get abit more breast milk, supplemented by formulas.

I still have eczema (some around my breast but not nipple area) - but at least it is abit more controlled so I am abit more comfortable to try breastfeeding again.

All advice welcome.

rebekah is offline Registered User
    I also have Eczema on my breast... i find that breastmilk is actually great at relieving the irritation. sounds wacky I know, but it does work!

rebekah is offline Registered User
    also, try contacting LLLHK.org, they can help with relactation/increasing production. since your baby is onyl 1 month old it should be entirely possible to go to exclusive breastfeeding should you so choose. At this point supply is still very hormone driven, so I'd contact them right away!

Polly is offline Registered User

Increasing Milk Supply

As Rebekah has mentioned your baby is still very young and as you have been pumping your milk you will be able to increase your supply to exclusively breastfeed your baby again if that's your wish.

A few pointers are as follows:

Nurse at least 8 - 12 times in 24 hours and let baby decide when he wants to switch to the other breast.

Pump your milk after feedings to fully drain your breasts as many times a day as is practical for you; pumping for 2 minutes after you see the last drop of milk.

It's really important that the formula is not stopped abruptly but reduced slowly as your milk supply increases. It's a good idea to breastfeed first before offering the supplement so baby isn't too full to nurse well.

One way of monitoring if your baby is feeding enough is to monitor his wet and soiled nappies, which should be around 6 - 8 wet nappies and at least 3 bowel movements in 24 hours.

And finally, feel confident in the knowledge that your breasts will produce as much milk as is demanded of them; it's that simple.

Good luck and I agree with Rebekah, the Mums at La Leche League are lovely and will be able to give you more information and support; just give them a call or send them an email if you prefer to [email protected]

Polly is offline Registered User

Increasing Milk Supply

As Rebekah has mentioned your baby is still very young and as you have been pumping your milk you will be able to increase your supply to exclusively breastfeed your baby again if that's your wish.

A few pointers are as follows:

Nurse at least 8 - 12 times in 24 hours and let baby decide when he wants to switch to the other breast.

Pump your milk after feedings to fully drain your breasts as many times a day as is practical for you; pumping for 2 minutes after you see the last drop of milk.

It's really important that the formula is not stopped abruptly but reduced slowly as your milk supply increases. It's a good idea to breastfeed first before offering the supplement so baby isn't too full to nurse well.

One way of monitoring if your baby is feeding enough is to monitor his wet and soiled nappies, which should be around 6 - 8 wet nappies and at least 3 bowel movements in 24 hours.

And finally, feel confident in the knowledge that your breasts will produce as much milk as is demanded of them; it's that simple.

Good luck and I agree with Rebekah, the Mums at La Leche League are lovely and will be able to give you more information and support; just give them a call or send them an email if you prefer to [email protected]