Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Breast pump, bottle sterilisers and bottles...

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Breast pump, bottle sterilisers and bottles...

Was wondering which brands new mums have been buying for breast pump, bottle sterilisers and bottles.....there are so many different brands out there that I'm a bit confused about which one is good. Thanks!

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    For breast pumps - Medela. We used the Avent sterilizer and for bottles, we used Medela (BPA-free).

southside852 is offline Registered User
    I used the Ameda Breast Pump - recommended by hospital in London over all others.
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Purely-Yours-Breast-Pump-Carry/dp/B000ME1K30/ref=tag_stp_st_edpp_ttl[/ame]

Avent iQ24 Sterilizer

Born Free Bottles (BPA-Free)
    http://www.newbornfree.com/Catalog.aspx?categoryid=8756

peainpod is offline Registered User
    I really like using the Medela Pump-in-Style but it is quite pricey so it really depends on how you plan on using it. If you are returning to work and need heavy duty pumping, then this is the one. But if you are a stay-at-home and plan to only express once in a while, then I heard good things about the Aventi Isis, which is only about 1/4 of the price.

Also, you may want to consider buying the Medela online, if that's the one you go with, as it is a lot cheaper than buying it in the stores here. Medela came out with a new hands-free electric doublepump called the Medela Freestyle, which is supposed to be even better than the PIS but it's not sold in HK so you need to order online.

Btw, if you do go with a Medela pump, you will end up using the Medela bottles for collection. In which case you don't need to buy different bottles for feeding the baby, you just need to fit the Medela bottles with the Medela nipples (other nipples could work too but may leak). Personally, I made the mistake of buying a full set of Tommee Tippee closer to nature bottles before I gave birth but then, I got stuck with two sets of bottles, and am always transferring the milk between them (just to make some use out of the Tommee Tippee bottles.) Which is super silly as my baby doesn't seem too fussy about which bottles I'm using!)

mushi is offline Registered User

breast pump

i was very happy with the avent isis pump....4 years later it also worked well with my second baby....it is a hand-pump and works well and comfortably.
    go for the same brand of steriliser as the bottles.....avent again makes a good choice with fatter bottles with wider mouths for easier puring in of formula.....my baby loves it too,.

Koan is offline Registered User
    I second everything peainpod said.

I've got the Medela Freestyle which I bought online. I've been pumping 2-3x a day at work for nearly a year and I still love this pump. It's fast, efficient, lightweight and easy to clean.

If you're going to be pumping at work, definitely get a double electric. If you're at home and just pumping every now and then, the Avent Isis manual is great.

I use the Medela bottles that came with the pump. We tried the Avent bottles that came with the Avent pump, but my son didn't like them.

I never bought a steriliser. I boiled the pump parts and bottles before the first use. After that I just wash with hot water.

Matty is offline Registered User
    Do sterilise the bottles and pump parts.
    Any bacteria in milk residue left on the bottles can give babies a nasty gastro bug.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Thanks everyone for your advice! I've been asking friends and people at work too and it seems that everyone has a different opinion - for bottles some like Nuk, some don't. Some use Bfree because it is BPA free and some use pigeon. So it is all quite confusing really. As for breast pumps, though many of your rave about the Medela, I've had two friends who didn't have such good experiences with them and one of them raves about the Advent electric one. So given the differing opinions from everyone, which is useful to know during the research period, I guess I will just have to take the plunge on one brand or another and hope my baby likes them! Thanks again for the advice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast