Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What baby formula to use

chrissy2 is offline Registered User

What baby formula to use

Hi everyone, Im having my first baby and I cant breast feed due to surgery I had when I was young :( Anyways I dont know what baby formula to use in Hong Kong. Any suggestions on ones that have english directions and where to find it, I shop at Taste? I also have no idea how much you have to feed a newborn, how often etc? What baby bottle sizes do I need, as I have noticed that there is more than one. Sorry for the stupied questions, Im going to be a new mom and all alone here, and I dont know who to ask.

Thanks all!

carang is offline Registered User
    first off....
    congratulations!

secondly...
    relax

thirdly...
    there are no stupid questions

lastly....
    there are a few good formulas out there. we use cow & gate and friso depending on what is available or what is on sale. both are available at the major supermarkets and drugstores. all of htem have instructions in english. but the general rule is big scoop is 1 scoop per 60mls. cow & gate uses a small scoop, so it would be 2 scoops per 60mls. as the baby gets bigger, this increases.

a newborn will drink anywhere from 30-60mls per feed. we never prepared more than 60ml as it would be wasted.by about 3 months, baby is usually at about 120mls per feed or so. by 6 months, it is more...but you can follow the directions for a start.

good luck from a fellow canadian!

arleneli is offline Registered User
    My daughter drank enfamil by meadjohnson. It is quite popular here in hongkong but the price is skyrocketing now.
    As for the bottle I would suggest you to buy the big ones more, as the small one is not sufficient when your baby start to drink more milk (around 3 months old).

AussieMum is offline Registered User
    I haven't had a baby here in HK, but would assume that the hospital will also provide guidance when you are in there.
    I also use Enfamil, as recommended by the Paed. We had issues with formula and find that this worked well. They also recommended Cow & Gate and S26.
    Good luck with the journey, I am sure everything will fall into place.

mushi is offline Registered User
    i use enfamil ... it dissolves better than NAN-1 that i used earlier....i use all avent bottles....easier to use one brand then u can buy the same brand of steriliser, bottler warmer, etc....all the best once the initial hiccups are over life would be easier.

sherwes is offline Registered User
    If you are looking for organic formula Bumps to Babes has a couple (including Hipp Organic) and you can order Australian organic formula online through www.aussieorganics.com.

Agree that you should buy the bigger bottles so they will still be useful when your baby is drinking more.

Bear in mind that there are different teat sizes so make sure you buy teats suitable for newborns (it will say on the packet - easy!).

If you are looking for an easy to understand book that tells you all about babies (how much to feed, how you tell when there is a problem, weight charts, settling routines, baby illnesses etc etc) I can definately recommend "Baby Love". I was totally clueless when I had my baby and that book was just invaluable.

Nashua852 is offline Registered User
    I would recommend Cow & Gate from bumps to babes (from the UK, not Indonesia) -- similarly priced but the proportions are easier to fathom - 1 scoop = 1 ounce. We dont end up wasting this way and the box is well designed -- there's even a little place to store your scoop so it doesnt get all mucked up with powder.

I'm with Cara on this one -- relax and congratulations!!! My son didnt love me any more, or any less when I stopped breastfeeding. A bond between mother and child can be helped on by many things but the point is, the bond is already there to begin with. All we have to do is love our babies. Easy!
    Last edited by Nashua852; 01-14-2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: sp
    Proud Mama to Kian Danyaal 08.12.2007 & Adara Michelle 10.10.2009

chrissy2 is offline Registered User
    Thanks everyone for all your advice! :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast