Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby Hips Scan

Tigerlily is offline Registered User

Baby Hips Scan

Hello,
    Can anyone advise me if it is possible to have a hips scan for babies in Hong Kong? Is this common practice, as in Italy (where I come from) it is mandatory to have it when the baby is 2 months old.
    Many thanks

carang is offline Registered User
    never heard of it....what kind of scan are you talking about?
    MRI, ultrasound etc...and what are you looking for?

I'm sure you can do anything, so long as you are willing to pay for it.

Hi,
    An X-Ray is required to determine whether their is a congenial case of Hip Dysplasia (an increased chance of dislocation). Do you think most peditricians in HK will be aware of this and prepared to x-ray as preventative cause?
    Thanks for your advice.

christineseckel is offline Registered User

hip scan

my child is 16 months and we are getting a ultrason on the hips done today at the orthopedic surgeon. u can get a referral from your pediatrician. according to the ped, x ray is not good for baby. hope that helps. if u need more infor, pm me later today as i am going in in the afternoon.

christine

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Hi Tigerlilly, dislocated hips runs in my family so we had my baby tested. However, the ped tested by feel and manipulation of the hips rather than an x-ray. After the examination he said his view was that an x-ray wasn't warranted given that the hips felt "normal".

I am sure your ped can check the hips and refer you for an x-ray if that's what you want.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    My son had a hip x-ray at Adventist last week since he had acute and severe pain (he's 2 and 2 months). He never had problems before even though he was born (footling) breech (second twin) during my vaginal delivery. In the US it's common for breech babies to have extra (hip) care but it was never an issue for him. His x-ray came back normal and he recovered as quickly as it showed up?! In general I don't think they do them as standard practice unless there is a medical reason.

Hi All
    thanks a lot for your info.

aa13 is offline Registered User

Hip scan

My daughter was born at QMH last year and the doctors there picked up her hip dysplasia the day after she was born (diagnosed through standard hip manipulation tests). They continuously monitored it through out my stay and referred us to the Duchess of Kent Hospital for Children in Sandy Bay. We met with orthopaedic surgeons there who recommended treatment. We had ultrasounds at QMH. The monitoring was done by ultrasound as you will not be able to see anything on an x-ray when the baby is very small as there is little density in their bones so they will not show up on an x-ray. We had monthly ultrasounds until my daughter was 3 months old, when she had her first x-ray. The care we experience in the HK public sector was excellent, they were caring and very diligent. I would recommend it. If you think your child as clicky hips, you should ask your doctor to test her hips again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast