Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

All hong kong legal certificate can't be laminated?

radicalmum is offline Registered User

All hong kong legal certificate can't be laminated?

Hi all,

I did something kinda stupid. I laminated my child's birth certificate thinking that i could help keep the precious cert. in good condition.

but alas! my husband told me later that all hong kong legal certificate can't be laminated as it became questionable.

The worst is, birth certificates are only issues once, if i want another one, it would be a letter that states the citizenship status of my kid only.

Does anybody have any idea if this is true or have ended up in this similar situation before?

*bang head*

thanks
    Last edited by radicalmum; 01-14-2009 at 01:59 AM. Reason: typo
    cheers,
    haz

jaz1311 is offline Registered User
    Hi Haz

I am quite sure you can go back and asked for duplicate copies.

I am not sure what are the charges though. BTW did you just have a copy or did you get more than a copy of the birth certificate when you regiestered the birth.

Portia is offline Registered User
    I think that you can get duplicate certified copies. I remember that when we registered my LO's birth, the officer advised us to get two copies for convenience. There is a charge for each copy.

Hi mums,

i got 2 certificate at that time and i laminated both. And my husband told me that once we've taken that birth cert, they won't re-issue the certificates anymore but the letter. i hope this won't become a hassle when my kid need to submit all this papers for admission to school or the "what so ever".

so it's true that laminated legal certificates are not validated here in hong kong?

many thanks
    cheers,
    haz

MLBW Guest

Lightbulb

I'm not sure about HK but in the US it's not a good idea to laminate official documents--for example, a laminated social security card becomes void. I think it's because it's hard to check for different authenticity markers with a laminated document (watermarks, raised paper etc.) However, I am pretty sure you can get duplicates of any certificate issued here in HK--for example, if your house burnt down etc....you would have to have that option available.

The wonderful thing in HK is that almost anything you need is listed on the Government Website.

Hereit indicates (I think) that a copy of any birth certificate can be had for $70 HKD by calling Births & Deaths General Register Office 2824 6111.

At least you can call them and ask for sure. I find that it is a good idea to have multiple copies of important documents when possible anyway (marriage certificate, birth certificate etc.)

Hope that helps.

jaz1311 is offline Registered User
    Hi

unforunately its true that once its laminated, the authorities would not accept them.

I asked for multiple copies of the birth certificate and I just like you laminated them too, but the shop owners told me that it not legal once you laminate them so i laminated only 1 copy.

I am quite sure you cn asked for duplicate and they might charge higher than the usual HK$160.

oh well... darn myself..hahaha... i'll check the immigration out again. thank you all for the infos!

=)
    cheers,
    haz