Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Lai see for kindy teachers?

tstmum is offline Registered User

Lai see for kindy teachers?

Does anyone know the etiquette/rules for giving lai see to teachers? My child's in an international pre-school, and as far as I can see in the school's handbook there's no mention of whether it's permitted or not (is it considered a bribe??).

If you do give lai see to the teachers (he has two), what is the usual amount, $20? $100?

Thanks for any feedback.

carang is offline Registered User
    ok... from a pre-school teacher, i can tell you that so long as the "gift" is under $1000, it is NOT considered a bribe.

it IS acceptable to give lai see if you feel like you want to, but it is NOT mandatory.

in the past, when i worked at a local kindergarten, some gave $10, $20, $50, $100... and some gave nothing. it all depends on you. there is no "required" or "acceptable" amount. it is all appreciated.

so, in conclusion.... do what you feel is right. if there is a problem with the school, they'll tell you not to give any.

also, if you still feel uncomfortable, a small box of chocolates always goes over well!

tstmum is offline Registered User
    Carang, thanks for the advice. I must say, you always have great advice, and I enjoy reading it!

I don't actually feel uncomfortable now giving lai see as I've been in HK a few years, although it was quite a strange concept to start with. (I used to love the comments I'd get from the unmarried people in the office after giving them lai see - my favourite "May you get slim and your figure back quickly after having your baby")

My son's teachers are fantastic, and deserve a little bonus - I was just not sure of what was appropriate.

carang is offline Registered User
    thank you for your kind words. i appreciate it.

i think that if someone constantly puts their best efforts into their job, then a little something is ok.

i love the good wishes you got! i still need good wishes like that, even though i had my last baby 2 years ago! LOL!

Zenith_Teacher is offline Registered User
    It depends on the school. If the school is a private school then you can not give Lai see to teachers. Teachers usally have this stated in their contracts. Gifts like chocolates are accepted.

This is just from experience and maybe some kindergartens are different.