Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Cystic Fibrosis carrier testing in Hong Kong

chinck is offline Registered User
    Happy Valley, Hong Kong

Cystic Fibrosis carrier testing in Hong Kong

Does anyone know if/where I can get a Cystic Fibrosis carrier test done in Hong Kong?

My understanding from a previous explanation from listening to an ob/gyn about this testing is that it can be done anytime (pre or post conception) and checks whether the mother is a carrier, and then if she is, the father gets tested too. (Although I guess it could be done the other way around as well.) Then if the test results show they're both carriers their children will have a 1 in 4 chance of having CF. The parents may then decide to undergo embryo screening to ensure their children don't have CF.

There's both a cheek swab test (very quick and easy) and blood test (slightly more accurate than the cheek swab test) available in other countries.

Since asians are a lot less commonly CF carriers than caucasians I think I might have trouble finding this CF testing in HK. Has anyone had this test done in HK? Or able to offer advice?

Neha is offline Banned
    Mid Levels, Hong Kong
    u should check old threads about this. THere is a mom whose son has CF on this thread. If u find her PM her and she will be able to guide u best