Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

What should a 2 yo drink?

jaetee is offline Registered User

What should a 2 yo drink?

My just-turned 2yo refuses to drink any milk - she will drink a little goat's milk before she goes to sleep, and takes a few sips (not many) of water during the day. She also still BFs at night, and maybe once during the day.

1) How can I get her to drink more?

2) Any suggestions for how to get her to drink cow's milk, or should she be drinking something else?

3) How long should she drink the goat's milk for - until 3yo?

Thanks for any advice.

Polly is offline Registered User
    I've just read a post in another thread by an LLL Leader who confirms that toddlers don't need to have any other form of milk if they're still breastfeeding. She goes on to say that fresh milk is an easy food source for a toddler if they like it. But if they don't it isn't necessary. Most Mums give calcium in other forms too, like; yoghurt, cheese etc.

My 20 month old is still breastfed on average 3 times a day but these are merely little comfort snacks to get her off for a nap and bedtime. She doesn't drink much cow's milk and I don't worry about it. She eats a varied diet and she's doing great; I'm sure your little girl is too.

She also mentions that generally the recommendations for milk are over stated in our society. Yes milk is required in the first five years but not in the quantities that we give it.

jaetee is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    I've just read a post in another thread by an LLL Leader who confirms that toddlers don't need to have any other form of milk if they're still breastfeeding. She goes on to say that fresh milk is an easy food source for a toddler if they like it. But if they don't it isn't necessary. Most Mums give calcium in other forms too, like; yoghurt, cheese etc.

My 20 month old is still breastfed on average 3 times a day but these are merely little comfort snacks to get her off for a nap and bedtime. She doesn't drink much cow's milk and I don't worry about it. She eats a varied diet and she's doing great; I'm sure your little girl is too.

She also mentions that generally the recommendations for milk are over stated in our society. Yes milk is required in the first five years but not in the quantities that we give it.
    Thanks for your reply Polly! :) May I ask, does your DD drink other liquids at all? My DD doesnt drink much of anything (she does BF about 3 times a day, including the night time feed) but doesnt really drink much of anything else (milk, water, etc.).

Polly is offline Registered User
    She has a sippy cup/straw cup on hand throughout the day either with water or very diluted squash, which she drinks mostly with meals and snacks with quick swigs at other times. She does drink quite a bit of water/squash. I started offering her water when she was eating solids well and when we're out I'm always offering her sippy cup to her for a swig if she's in the stroller or have it out for her whenever she's eating.

MLBW Guest
    Be careful when giving milk--too much can lead to anemia. I am not sure what the amount for 2-year-olds is but my son's US doctor recommended for a 1-year-old no more than 23 ounces a day.

Neha is offline Banned
    2 year about 10 -12 ozs