Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

FM or Fresh Milk for 12mth old?

carang is offline Registered User

diluted fruit juice is ok.... they really don't need undiluted as it is VERY sweet and unnecessary.

ps>babymommy... did you mean WHOLE COW'S milk or Sow's milk as you wrote?

that's another thing i forgot to mention... if you do use cow's milk, DO NOT give skim milk... give whole milk.

southside852 is offline Registered User

carang, what brands do you use for whole milk??? purely organic?

tstmum is offline Registered User

We use Pura fresh milk from Australia. As mentioned above use WHOLE (full fat) milk, not skim or reduced fat milk. If you're buying Pura then it's the dark blue container (available pretty much everywhere, though sometimes out of stock). The organic milks are VERY expensive and we've never bothered buying them.

carang is offline Registered User

i can't afford organic...
    i must also confess.... i still give my 2 year old formula...simply because it's cheaper. i had a hard time changing my older one to fresh milk and it's kind of put me off trying my daughter, who is DEEPLY attached to her formula.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

If you are still breastfeeding three to four times a day then you baby doesn't NEED to have any other milk - fresh cow's milk or formula. However, fresh milk is an easy food source for a toddler if they like it. But if they don't it isn't necessary.

Generally the recommendations for milk are over stated in our society. Yes milk is required in the first five years but not in the quantities that we give it. The amount of milk you give while breastfeeding is fine for your daughter's milk requirements.

Remember that the amount of milk you make is the amount your daughter drinks. If she drinks more one day then you make more. Don't even think that you don't have enough or that your supply is dwindling.

The only way for your supply to drop is if you stop breastfeeding and then if you want it to bounce back all you need to do is breastfeed more.

Remember it takes about 42 days (6 weeks) for you to loose your milk after the last breastfeed once your supply is well established.

Mothers often think their supply is dwindling as the baby gets older because they no longer feel full. If you want that full feeling again try stopping feeding for 24 hours and you'll get it back but if you keep feeding three or four times a day you may never feel full again - but still have loads of milk.

None of my child had formula. The two girls liked cow's milk and after about 18 months would drink that when we went out. The two boys didn't like it and so would drink apple juice and water when we went out. Jacob even had apple juice on cereals when he was two because he didn't like cow's milk (and I wasn't prepared to express my milk just for his breakfast) although I was happy to breastfeed him after he'd eaten.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

southside852 is offline Registered User

ahh, ok so bascially just regular milk we drink. my husband and i drink Pura too....thanks everyone!

sherwes is offline Registered User

Currently my 14 month old has full fat pura milk. He did have formula between 7 months and 13 months however, this was just because I had to wean him earlier than I had intended due to his terrible biting habit. If I hadn't weaned early I would have kept him on breastmilk until 12 months or so and then given him full fat cows milk.

I think that the OP is in a great position. Being able to breast feed for 12 months is a fabulous achievement and means that your baby will never need processed formula! Don't listen to anyone who tells you your 12 month old needs formula for the added vits - that is what a good healthy diet is for! Unfortunately, the formula companies have big marketing budgets whereas the breast feeding support networks don't.

anewnickname is offline Banned

I started to introduce regular Kowloon Dairy/Nestle cow's milk to both my kids sometime after their first b'day.
    For all the talk that FM is better for your kids than BM or cow's milk and it will make them brilliant, I felt uneasy about feeding something to them so artificial. If I don't understand half of the ingredients, I don't trust it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast