Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Birth registration - daily quota?

Nic is offline Registered User
    Mid Levels
    Not sure if its the same with the kiwi embassy but we took are daughters hk birth certificate and my passport (i think) to the british consulate and they produced a UK birth certificate for us (although stating she was born in HK). It cost about HK$2000, so not cheap but we had the same concerns and thought it would avoid any confusion in the future.

tstmum is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    They definitely don't print the family name on the birth certificate, which I find really, really strange. However, when we applied for Aussie citizenship and passport there were no problems at the consulate. I'm not sure if we'll encounter any probs in future, but at least the citizenship certificate and passport have our children's full names.

Eve12 is offline Registered User
    hong kong
    Quick question - what do they print? The parents names? or just the first name of the child.

joshsmum is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    ha, I hadn't noticed!

I just checked ours, and in the Name section it just has baby's first and middle name (if given). However, two boxes under it has Surname and Name of Father and then Maiden Surname and Name of Mother. So the family surname is listed on the birth certificate, it's just not in the box where it's asking for baby's name.

Koan is offline Registered User
    If you want your baby's surname on the birth certificate, the ONLY way to get it is to get a 'shortened' birth certificate, which is only available from the Admiralty office.

DS has a different surname from both DH and myself (traditional naming custom in DH's family) but the Aus embassy refused to accept his legally registered name from the standard birth cert, because it didn't appear on the cert. The HK registry will not put the surname on the standard certificate at all. It's not 'standard formating'.

The embassy should be pretty used to HK birth certificates, and if your baby has either your husband's or your name, then it's pretty straight forward.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12