Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where do I begin?

emsjules is offline Registered User

Where do I begin?

I have recently arrived in HK and just found out I am pregnant and have no idea what I do next as I haven't even got a gp yet!! This is not my first baby but due to medical reasons I had to have a cesarean before and think I would need to do again! If I give birth in the Mathilda do I just phoe up and ask for a Dr and lake an appointment or do they give me one? Can anyone reccomend a Dr at the Mathilda particularly if they had a previous elective cesarean? Any advice would be great thank you! Ems

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    you could try Dr Lucy Lord, people seem to either love her or hate her.... she delivers at matilda, as do quite a few others. i would find a doctor AS SOON AS POSSIBLE as hospitals (private ones) get booked up almost immediately... you better get a move on.

oh, yeah.... congratulations!

eneri7 is offline Registered User
    I recommend my doctor, Dr. Arabinda Ghosh, as he is supportive of both natural and cesarean births. He was also able to book me a room at the Mathilda by my second appointment because of his affiliation with the hospital. He is very calm, knowledgeable and professional. Good luck!

AussieMum is offline Registered User
    Just a quick note that I am currently around 14 weeks pregnant and currently seeing Dr Lucy Lord, who mainly delivers at the matilda. I have had around 3 or 4 appointments with her already and been extremely happy with her. Her midwives in the clinic are also very helpful and she is very efficient on all appointments falling in time. I too hope to deliver at Matilda, and am awaiting on confirmation of a place. Please let me know if you have any queries.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    I've also seen Lucy Lord, but I wouldn't continue seeing her if I had more kids (I had 3 in the States and I am done). It's not that I don't like her, it's fine for an annual pap etc. but I don't think she's the right person for me if I were pregant (a little unfriendly, unpersonal, not the greatest bedside manners, or that's at least they impression I got).

Heard good things about Dereck Lo as well.

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    I just recently had an elective c-section at the Matilda with Dr Joe Chan who is based in Central:

Suite 1301, Tak Shing House, 20 Des Voeux Road, Central
    phone: 2525-9213 or 2523-3328

He has a great bed-side manner, is very professional, takes his time to answer your questions and I was never rushed through any of my appointments. This was my first baby so I felt I was in safe hands with him.

You can read further comments about him on this thread: Dr. Joe Chan - any experience

joshsmum is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Hi Ems,

Welcome to HK!

I had my baby boy here at the Matilda (fantastic hospital - loved it!) and I went with Dr Sally Ferguson who also mainly delivers at the Matilda only. Her practice is in Wan Chai Ph: 2824 9112. She's an English lady who is always very cheery, calm and caring type. I was very happy with her - I had a c-section and had no complications or problems afterwards.

I've also heard very good things about Dr Lucy Lord who although has a reputation for a bad bedside manner (not touchy feely type person) has an excellent reputation for c-sections & complications - ie: I've heard if you have problems she's the one you'd want to be seeing.

I've also heard good things about Dr Ghosh too.

All three of these Dr's deliver at the Matilda and should be able to get you a place. The procedure is to pick which Dr you want to go with, make an appointment and then they will complete all the paperwork for you to register you with the Matilda. As someone already said, you should get onto it quickly, as places for the Matilda book out very early. I was surprised to be filling out paperwork for the hospital when I was 6 weeks pregnant, but from what I've heard since my pregnancy as well you need to get in this early to have a place confirmed.

Good Luck!

SyL is offline Registered User
    Sheung Wan
    emsjules, Congrats and don't worry. Just try to make it to the clinic asap and reserve Mathilda.

If all goes according to plan, my c-section with Dr. Lord is scheduled on Feb. 17. I'm not the touchy feely type person, so I don't expect my doctor to be the same. I had an unplanned c-section with my first and thought I would have a problem requesting a 2nd one, but Dr. Lord allowed me to choose--no questions asked.

I will try to remember to post my experience for those who may need some help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast