Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

To vaccinate or not - pediatrician referral

kjg
    kjg is offline Registered User

To vaccinate or not - pediatrician referral

We have recently moved from Australia to Hong Kong with our 3 1/2 year old daughter and are soon to move to Stanley. I am looking for a recommendation to a good Pediatrician or General practitioner (preferably southside but will travel anywhere) that is open to parents chosing their child's immuniation schedule/types of vaccines, not immunising or delaying immunsations in children. Very debatable topic I know, but there is a long reactive history in my family to certain vaccines and I need someone who is open to this approach and comfortable with it.
    Also, has anyone had any difficulties getting their children into Kindergartens without the full Hong Kong vaccine schedule that is recommended?
    Also, I remember a thread a while back (can't seem to find it) that the Tuberculosis vaccine wasn't recommended in the school age children by some doctors here. Can anyone recall the reason for this?
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.

carang is offline Registered User

i can't tell you anything about drs etc. but i know that my son's school REQUIRED a copy of his vaccination record.

now, i don't know what they would have done if i'd said that my son hadn't been vaccinated...

sorry...

ps> most HK kids get TB vaccine before they leave the hospital after birth... at least in public hospitals, if you refuse, they ask your reasons, but again, i'm not sure what they'd say/do if you simply refused.

karenchan is offline Registered User

If you need a GP with DCH, try Dr Thomas Chan in TakShing House in Central, he came back from Aus. Tel: 2973 0968

joshsmum is offline Registered User

I'm not sure about his stand on vaccinations, but Dr Thondup is a great pediatrician - he's at The Repulse Bay Medical Practice Ph: 2812 2677. The practice is at Repulse Bay so not far from Stanley for you. Alot of my friends use him and I recently changed to him and have been very happy with him. He's very busy, but very good.

Welcome to HK!

Belinda

kjg
    kjg is offline Registered User

carang,joshsmum,karenchan

Carang
    Thanks for the heads up, I think it's the same in Australia that all children are required to produce their vaccination records but if they are incomplete and there is an outbreak of any specific childhood illnesses that you haven't been vaccinated against, you are required to come and collect your child to reduce the risk of contraction.
    Joshsmum
    Thanks for the details, nice and close to Stanley for us, so I will make an appointment to discuss the TB vaccine.
    KarenChan
    Sorry, might be a bit slow here but what is DCH? Central is easy enough to get to. Do you have any personal experience with this doctor?
    Thanks everyone, so appreciative of your time and info.

karenchan is offline Registered User

Kjg,

DCH is Diploma in Child Health. Dr Chan is my girl and my doctor, he is very good, caring and experience.

Karen

aussie mum is offline Registered User

i can second recommending Dr Thondup at Repulse Bay Medical Clinic

I have declined certain vaccinations and delayed others and he is supportive of my decisions. so I would think would be a great match for you!

aussie mum is offline Registered User

...also...my eldest son's school has his full immunisation record and they made no comment about the fact that he has not had a few of the vaccines. as mentioned earlier, if there is an outbreak of any kind they at least know who has/has not been vaccinated etc.

I recently declined giving the TB vaccine to my newborn while in the hospital. The hospital respected my decision and there was no further discussion. A few weeks after we got home I received a phone call from a government department asking why I hadn't given him TB vaccine and recommending that I do so. We discussed it for a while and I agreed to look into it further. Once again they did not enforce that he had it but left it up to me to decide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast