Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sore nipples / How much breastmilk does a 2 week old drink?

Matty is offline Registered User

I found that even with a LC telling me my latch was perfect, I found that the first 4 weeks were excruciating.
    I dreaded feeding.
    Everyone else told me that if I'm doing it right it shouldn't hurt, which wasn't very helpful.

My LC was fabulous, she recommended I apply a combination of a cream called Fucidin, which is an antibiotic steroid, and Daktacort, which is an antifungal steroid. Apply them both together after a feed, but remember to wipe it off before feeding.
    Also use Lanisoh regularly.
    I know people say that you shouldn't use anything, but they truly were a lifesaver.

After 4 weeks I used Lanisoh for a while but then didn't need anything.
    At 7.5 mths he's still BFing strong.

Polly is offline Registered User

Sore Nipples

I've always found using Lansinoh alone is enough if you use it liberally and after every feed and after bathing. Plus, this way, you don't need to worry about having removed every scrap of another cream that you don't want baby coming into contact with.

I was using Lansinoh from day one, and it didn't help the soreness at all.
    I'm sure it was great at preventing cracking, but did nothing for the pain.

I was very close to giving up BF, but thankfully didn't need to in the end.

Last edited by Matty; 01-27-2009 at 11:18 PM.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I have been using Medela pure Lanolin ointment. Same with Matty, it doesn`t help with the soreness but I haven`t got any cracked nipples yet. Also, Matty, was your combo cream for the soreness? Where did you get them? I can send my husband out for a hunt the next time he goes to HK.
    I watched the website videos recommended earlier on this thread and have applied some of the ideas, like better positioning, having my baby search for the nipple (which is hilarious), and my favourite, using compression. I think I must have also had a slow stream of milk. I have found that with using compression, I have heard more swallows, he has fallen asleep less and has been more able to nurse on the other side directly (but not all the time).
    My nipples still really hurt, but mostly for the first few minutes, particularly as my son is in search of a good latch, and if he is somewhat successful, most of the pain will subside after that.
    I also wonder if I have particularly sensitive nipples (which worked out well for me before the baby came ;) ).
    Breastfeeding has always been my #1 mission for my baby, so I`m very pleased with the small progress we have made. I hope I can talk like you other ladies who overcame your BF problems.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

All the advice that's been given here is good. All I can add is that I hope that you will be able to find other breastfeeding moms nearby so that you can have a support group. For me, that really makes a huge difference --i.e., the support (be it from professionals, other moms, or simply family and friends).

I wasn't able to exclusively breastfeed my first one for various reasons, but I was determined to do so with my second one. Despite having mastitis (2x), cracked and very sore nipples, and having had a hospital stay due to pneumonia, I stayed the course. 21 months and going, although I want to stop now (but that's another story!). I was able to keep at it this long greatly due to the 'support' that I mentioned, especially in the early months.

Good luck. :)

Shenzhennifer,

The creams were for the soreness. They had a soothing anti inflammatory effect. There was still sorness, but it definatley helped.
    I was able to buy them over the counter here at a pharmacy.
    When it got too much, I also expressed and bottle fed.

I had the same problem with a slow let down. Other friends were spurting milk while I just dripped.
    My supply was fine, even though I was convinced it wasn't.
    My baby put on 1.5 kilos in the first 4 weeks!
    I found things balanced out in week 4. My let down increased and my baby went from taking over an hour to feed to about 20 mins.

Hang in there. x

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User

Shenzhenjennifer,

I don't have any new earth-shattering wisdom to offer you beyond what has been said but just want to add my encouragement! Hang in there. You really can get through this. It all eventually does get better. You are doing a fantastic job so far.

As someone previously said, if your baby has plenty of wet diapers and otherwise seems happy, that is the best indication that things are working so don't worry too much.

Also get as much support as you can - maybe on the phone or email since you are over the border. Give a HK LLL leader a call directly - call Maggie or Sarah. They both have saved me multiple times. Also you can probably PM any one of us if you just need some moral support when things seem too tough. Most of us have been through one form or another of this! I for one would be happy to cheer you on!

I had a really rough start also - many dark nights where the pain felt unbearable. My LO is now 10 months and she is still breastfeeding strong despite various painful nipple issues over the last year. In the end, I think my problem also is just sensitive nipples. I have tried it all but the best part is reaching the point where you really enjoy the breastfeeding relationship and its all worth it.

Good luck and again, hang in there.

Cathy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12