Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Newborn Vaccinations in Public Hospital

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I don`t know if it`s relevent or not, but I just had my baby but in Guangzhou. They automatically did the Hep B and also according to my papers (but in Chinese so cannot be positive) and my memory, they also did BCG. But I don`t see any mark on his arm, so I`m a bit confused about that. What kind of mark does it leave?

southside852 is offline Registered User
    usually it's a scab that lasts a long time....

carang is offline Registered User
    the bcg shot can take over 6 weeks to cause the red bump that can range from fairly small to quite large.

when it appears, it will look like there is pus inside. DO NOT DO ANYTHING. DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ON TOP OF IT, NO OINTMENT, CREAM, BANDAGE ETC. you may cause an infection. you are to just leave it. it can get kind of yucky looking and it will last for 2-6 months.

elizaveta is offline Registered User
    Just curious - Hep B is sexually trasmitted. Even if 1 in 10 people in HK are carriers - how do you expect your child to end up with it? My understanding was that this is given when MOTHER is carrier. So I wonder about routine newborn vaccination... Any views on that?

Nic
    Nic is offline Registered User
    Hep B is transmitted through all bodily fluids. Spitting is still quite common here, and as much as I wold love to say that everything my baby touches when we are out is as clean as it would be at home thats just not going to be the case, and trying to clean her hands every 30seconds just is not practical.

For me I felt it was more a case of better safe than sorry, at least this way I dont worry so much when she has her hands on anything she can.

But just my opinion and appreciate that the risks for baby may be quite low, but definitely higher than I wanted to risk.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    the bcg shot can take over 6 weeks to cause the red bump that can range from fairly small to quite large.

when it appears, it will look like there is pus inside. DO NOT DO ANYTHING. DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ON TOP OF IT, NO OINTMENT, CREAM, BANDAGE ETC. you may cause an infection. you are to just leave it. it can get kind of yucky looking and it will last for 2-6 months.

Sh$#!! I feel like such a bad mother then, because if I had known I too would have opted for getting it done on his bum in HK instead.... Sigh... Thanks for the heads up of what to expect when suddenly my son`s arm turns all yucky.

carang is offline Registered User
    not to worry, neither of my kids had it on the butt. it cleared up and they have very small scars left from it.

Matty is offline Registered User
    My sons had both Hep B and BCG in the hospital.
    No side effects.
    Took a few weeks for any marks to appear on their arms after the BCG.
    My 2 year old has no scar at all, and my 7 mth old's scar is very tiny and doesn't look like it will amount to much.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast