Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Newborn Vaccinations in Public Hospital

Dink is offline Registered User

Newborn Vaccinations in Public Hospital

Due to have my baby any day (I hope!) at the QMH. Wondering whether or not to accept the Hep B vaccine for her. Can you share your experiences of whether you gave your newborn this vaccination or not? If you did, were there any issues? (I'm thinking just of making baby feel ill/flu symptoms that kind of thing). If you didn't, what were your reasons, has it worked out well?

I don't want to give my baby any unecessary jabs, and I've also read all the scare stories about these vaccinations causing autism and worse.... On the other hand if it causes no harm and there is a good reason for it then I don't want to put her health at risk. Finding it very hard to make the best decision for baby's health so any thoughts welcome.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    actually I had my own pedi do the vaccinations - not aything about autism, etc. though, it was purely because I wanted all my vaccinations done by one set of doctors. i know it's free at the QMH and doing it private I had to pay extra. however I decided to do that anyway. i know they asked if I wanted the BCG, but i declined that since they do that on the arm and in private practice you can do it on the buttock (it leaves a permanent scaring so for my daughter, I didn't really want it on the arm for asthetic reasons).

carang is offline Registered User
    i have had both of my kids do all of the vaccinations through the public system here without incident.

i, personally, think that with the cramped living conditions in hong kong and our proximity to china, i would rather have my kids vaccinated than not.

from what i understand, the autism link can be argued both ways, but most medical practitioners do not believe that there is any link.

Dink is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the replies. Lesliefu - is BCG the same as the Hep B jab?

carang is offline Registered User
    i think BCG is for tuberculosis.

Nic
    Nic is offline Registered User
    BCG is for tuberculosis.
    My daughter had Hep B vaccine at QMH straight after she was born. 1 in 10 people in HK are carriers so that made the decision easy.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    Here is the UK immunisation schedule as our son was born in London, but we are American and therefore follow both schedules. We definitely got the Hep B jab. The only jab we have not gotten is the BCG as the US says it's better to get it later and it does leave a scar. Another problem is that of when we return to the US, our son will be annually tested for it and the results will of course come out positive.....we are still on the fence about this one....

http://www.immunisation.nhs.uk/Immun...ation_schedule

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    My son was born 10th December at the Matilda and we did not get the HEP B vaccine which was offered. Instead we are waiting till he is 2 months before geting this vaccine. This is because we are following the Australian immunisation schedule and returning permanently to Australia at the end of March.

If we were staying permanently or longer in HK we would of got it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast