Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

sympathy bellies

aussiegal is offline Registered User

sympathy bellies

A bit of a whinge!

I'm 8 months pregnant with my third child in three years and in absolute agony. I can barely sleep for being so uncomfortable, ( i literally lie in bed tossing and turning til 3am getting out to pee every 15 minutes before falling asleep through sheer exhaustion), have very painful braxton hicks contractions all day long, (i.e. I can't walk through them have to sit down instead), have been advised to stay in bed as much as possible (well nigh impossible with an 18 month old and an almost 3 year old running around) yet what's most frustrating is my husband, who I feel just doesn't get or try to get what I am going through. I understand it's hard to fully appreciate what we women have to go through but surely there's a way to give him some sort of understanding of the physical demands at least (my mental state is a whole other problem!)? Does anyone have any ideas? I've heard you can get sympathy bellies that are like, 30 pounds, have tight straps to constrict breathing, simulate kicks etc. Has anyone seen these around or do any antenatal classes offer them? I'm clearly desperate to be asking but given I can literally hardly walk and my husband is still suggesting we go off and do day trips to Macau etc with our two little ones I'm ready to try anything :yeah2

spockey is offline Registered User
    I can't think of anywhere but a costume shop that stocks for Halloween. I know this isn't much help but...

What about suggesting to hubby that he takes the two kids out so that you can get a total time out... Check into Clarins or something similar for a pregnancy pamper day out? I did it in Sydney and it was absolute bliss... I hear they do it in HK now. Could work out that he would be a little more sympathetic after spending an entire day with the kids (without pregnancy)?

carang is offline Registered User
    i have seen the bellies on tv programmes and think they are fantastic. i honestly think that every single man should have to wear one for a week without break in order to have some idea of what we go through physically, but i don't know very many men that would be willing to brave an MTR ride in order to do this.

i wish you the best of luck. you are going to need all the support you can get... 3 in 3 years....yikes!

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    don't know about the belly but you could ask your husband to carry around a backpack (or ergo carrier) on his front with a big bag of rice in it and 2 tennis balls strategically placed near the ribs and groin area. His task, to wear it the whole day while taking the kids out to the park or doing some other errand. that should get you some sympathy!!! hahaha i have obviously given this way too much thought while i was pregnant!!! lol i am totally feeling for you!!

Thanks guys. Am just so over the whole pregnancy thing (though of course I know I am lucky to be pregnant).

Carang, I agree wearing a sympathy belly should be required by all fathers to be! I don't think they can otherwise ever comprehend just how uncomfortable and tiring it is simply getting through each day. And then the baby comes along

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    When I was doing the delivery courses at the Canossa Hospital, they've asked my husband to put one of these clothes on, with a huge belly, full of weights, just to imagine what it is... it only lasted a few minutes but my husband then sympathized every time I complained ;)
    Bon courage !! :D

Thanks for that Frenchy, will definitely call to see if we can hire one or go for a class :)

Scroll to top