Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bottle to buy?

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    If you need to cup feed and you don't use a softfeeder bottle as recommended by Katebabe, what kind of cup would you use? I decided to purchase an Avent pump rather than Medela, does anyone know if there is a product for the Avent pump that is similar to the Medela softfeeder? Thanks!

kiwiinoz is offline Registered User
    We used Nuk (the plastic ones, not glass) for both our kids, and they loved them. We had no problems with colic, the teats complemented well with the short time I was able to breast feed, so they didn't have confusion between breast and bottle (I had to supplement).
    In fact, my son loves his nuk bottles so much, we're having a challenge getting him to stop using them and move onto sippy cups!
    Our first child, we tried tommy tippee, advent and a couple of others before we found Nuk. She didn't like the other ones and would spit them out, or in the case of advent, she couldn't adjust to the shape, and 1/2 the contents would come out the sides of her mouth as she sucked.

I would suggest go with what you think will be best, but don't be disheartened if your baby doesn't accept it... just keep trying until you find something that works for you bub. After all they are all individuals. ;)

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    I use B-Free available from B2B's, they are BPA free and also designed to reduce colic. I've breast and bottle fed from 3 weeks and have had no issues with nipple confusion, as long as he gets food he doesn't care which way it comes.

If you are going to breast and bottle feed you might want to use a bottle with teats that are similar shape to your nipples to avoid any problems of rejection. But then again your baby may not care. You just have to pick one and see how it goes.

Bubbly is offline Registered User
    I agree that each baby is different, whilst some may take milk in whatever bottle or from the breast, there are some babies who are super sensitive and will definitely have nipple confusion. So I would also suggest using bottles which resemble the breast to minimise the possibilities.

Bubbly is offline Registered User
    One more thing, if you plan to bottle & breastfeed, let someone else do the bottle feeding, otherwise the baby might reject the bottle because he/she can smell your milk!

Koan is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureHKmom View Post
    If you need to cup feed and you don't use a softfeeder bottle as recommended by Katebabe, what kind of cup would you use? I decided to purchase an Avent pump rather than Medela, does anyone know if there is a product for the Avent pump that is similar to the Medela softfeeder? Thanks!
    My son had some latch problems in the beginning and we used a tiny little Medela cup that the hospital gave us. The nurses there showed us how to feed with the cup. If you do need to do this, ask a nurse or a LC to show you how.

You could also finger feed or syringe feed.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the reply Koan!

Katebabe is offline Registered User
    Yes, the nurses taught me to use both Medela cup and the softfeeder and I found that the softfeeder was easier for me to control - I just lightly squeezed the silicone and milk came out which was easier for me to control the leakage. However, in terms of price, Medela cup is more economic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12