Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Asking opinion in my job

SHERMEN is offline Registered User

Asking opinion in my job

Dear all, I have posted a thread before on my job, I said I felt depressed about it, but recently, there is new challenge for me, I was given a new co to manage. But inside this team, there are 3 colleagues, one of the colleagues she is about 27 , she has very hot temper and very lazy, she is just below me, I mean her grade. everytime when I asked her to do something she wil say this is not her responsibility. But my boss has been working with her for quite long time. I think my boss quite like her and I am new to my boss. What should I do ? Should I tolerate her first and after gaining more experience in this new co, then tell the boss about her attitude ?? Pls share your opinion ?

lesliefu is offline Registered User

I'm sorry to hear your situation. If I were in your position, I would lay low and feel out the situation first. If you can do the things you ask your colleague to do, then do it first and do not get into a confrontation. spend some time to observe whether or not your new co and boss are as close as you assume they are....perhaps they are not as close, perhaps they are...either way, take time to see what there relationship is before taking any move. if you find that they are close, then even if you let your boss know about her attitude, it will be useless (since your boss probably already knows and is ignoring it), if they are not close, then you can work on finding evidence that she is not having a good working attitude before telling your boss. make sure you have proof or it will seem like you are trying to say bad things about her and it will be your problem instead of hers. hope things get better! hang in there!

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

I agree with lesliefu with one addition. Have you tried befriending this person? Maybe a little 'love' her way might let down her guard and make your working relationship a little more bearable?

carang is offline Registered User

keep your friends close, and you enemies closer, eh veg?

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

Exactly! That was the phrase I was trying to think of. Hasn't always worked for me and it took YEARS to realise that it is a good tactic.

Polly is offline Registered User

I made the mistake once over in accepting a job when I knew I was in for trouble with a colleague but I figured I could handle her. It was a mistake; she had major mood swings from being super friendly and bubbly to downright miserable. I never knew what I was going to get from one day to the next and it got me down in the end and ended up leaving. In hindsight, I would never have taken the job and would listen to my instinct in future.