Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Essential oils in pregnancy

Jjald is offline Registered User

Essential oils in pregnancy

Hi,

Am on holiday this week and booked a facial at the hotel spa. Have subsequently found out that they used jasmine oil during the treatment, which is classed as an emmenagogue and should not be used in pregnancy!!!

Being a facial, it can only have been a small amount, and I washed my face with soap as soon as the treatment was finished, however now can't stop worrying.

It was over 3 days ago and no symptoms, but wondered if anyone had any advice, namely if there was going to be a problem, when would symptoms occur?

Flack is offline Registered User
    Hi Jjald

I did some googling for you and read that no one knows for sure about aromatherapy oils as it is understandably unethical to test on pregnant women. All they can do is recommend that you don't use them. For a facial, you would assume that it was extremely diluted though.
    One website I looked at mentioned if no bleeding/cramping you should be ok, http://www.naturalbloom.com/articles/aromatherapy-47/.

Try and enjoy the rest of your holiday.

xx

louloute is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jjald View Post
    Hi,

Am on holiday this week and booked a facial at the hotel spa. Have subsequently found out that they used jasmine oil during the treatment, which is classed as an emmenagogue and should not be used in pregnancy!!!

Being a facial, it can only have been a small amount, and I washed my face with soap as soon as the treatment was finished, however now can't stop worrying.

It was over 3 days ago and no symptoms, but wondered if anyone had any advice, namely if there was going to be a problem, when would symptoms occur?

Hi,
    I think the best way to find an effective answer to relieve your worries would be to ask an aromatherapist/pharmacist.
    But It was for a facial, so I think as said previously that it was probably more diluted than for any other kind of massage.

As long as it happened only once, I really don't think your baby has faced a huge danger, thought. :)