Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Cow's Milk at 12 months?

southside852 is offline Registered User

Cow's Milk at 12 months?

Our son is 13 months and I know that usually after 12 months you can introduce cow's milk to them. I have also been reading up on those who are opposed to introducing cow's milk until around 18-24 months. Any thoughts on this?? Our son is still on formula for the most part, but last week we introduced organic milk to him and then yesterday we gave Pura and he seemed fine.

Would love to know what others have done at the 12 month mark and any thoughts.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Ap Lei Chau
    We started to mix some Pura milk to the formula, then only milk, and it went fine. Our son is 14 months and is drinking milk since 2 months without any problem.
    What is this thing about waiting 18-24 months, any reason ?

mosmom is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong SAR
    my daughter has been on fresh cow's milk since she's been 12 months old (now 18 months). no problems: she likes it, thinned just a tiny bit with water!
    never heard of the 18-24 month 'rule', but it seems that in hk, unlike in the country i come from, parents like to stick to formula for a much longer period of time, as they want to make sure that their child gets all the necessary nutrients plus DHA, etc. ;)

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong, Mid Levels
    FM or Fresh Milk for 12mth old?

Here is a recent thread with a lot of views, most people seem to be on the side of giving whole milk (cows or goats) from 1 year onwards.

We use organic clover milk (parknshop, wellcome, 360) or if that's not in stock, full fat whole Australian milk.

Personally, I don't believe there is any value in prolonging formula for additional nutrients - DHA/ARA and chemical similes of long chain fatty acids are pretty controversial anyway. Formula is a highly processed liquid vs fresh milk which is a natural whole food (not that I'm saying there is anything wrong with formula below 1 year when you need it - my bub had it from 7 months to 1 year for a number of reasons - just that I've yet to see a compelling reason that it's necessary beyond 1 year).

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    DB, Hong Kong
    Both mine started to have fresh cows milk at 12 months. One in Hong Kong and the other not. Not issue. I know that fresh milk is more expensive but I thought, one less coffee so my kids can have fresh milk isn't a bad sacrifice.

jormankiu is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Does anyone know if cow's milk or formula milk offer more nutrients and which one is more appropriate for underweight baby? My baby is 14.5 mths old (born 10 weeks premature so corrected age is 12 mths) and he was exclusively fed wit breastmilk until 12mths old. I started giving Baby's Only organic formula milk since 12 mths but I reckon it's more natural to give cow's milk. But since my baby is still underweight, I'm still wondering if I should switch him to cow's milk. Any thoughts?

sherwes is offline Registered User
    I agree with Leah. I would much rather give my 15 month old cows milk than formula with a list of ingredients as long as my arm. Recently I purchased some formula to use on a long plane journey. When I looked at the packet one of its main ingredients was maltodextrin which is just a cheap filler made from corn! Nothwithstanding this the formula was marketed as better for your baby due to the long list of synthetic vitamins etc added to it. Yuck!

I am not saying formula is harmful and my bub had it from 7 months to 13 months. Just that I don't see a reason to continue giving a processed food designed for young babies past about 1 year.

Koan is offline Registered User
    Infant formula (for under 1 year) has 20 cals and 1.01-1.09gr of fat per ounce, as compared with 18cals and 0.99gr of fat in whole cow's milk. I don't know about the calorie and fat content of follow up formulas but I do know they're sweetened with corn syrup, which is a baddie in the sugar world. Personally I think I'd rather use whole cow's milk.