Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Help! My baby refuses to drink water!

MLBW Guest

My son wouldn't drink water at all--even from a baby cup so we had to try something different--he just didn't want water--not flavored water (with juice or sugar)--not any kind of water--at about 1-year-old he decided he was willing to drink from a sippy cup--so....I think it's fine to try it but some kids just don't want water, no matter what container you serve it in. Hope your baby is different, Katebabe :0)

Paddles is offline Registered User

My girls are 8 months old and still aren't keen on water - they take less than 30 mls a day . They've started to play with sippy cups but they don't really drink anything.If you're giving enough formula / breastmilk and getting wet nappies then at that age I really don't think you need to be too worried. For constipation you can add certain foods to the diet when you start solids - a little diluted prune juice mixed in with the rice works wonders :o)

MLBW Guest

Son hated prune juice too...that was the first thing we tried and we kept trying to add it in--diluted and in solid form (pureed prunes) but he never warmed up to them.

SarahinHK is offline Registered User

Hi Katebabe,

Just wondering why you are trying to supplement your baby's diet with water? At 5 months of age breastmilk/formula is the main source of nutrients for your baby and given that breastmilk is 87% water, as long as your baby is feeding regularly dehydration shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Sarah

rani is offline Administrator

I gave our son water quite early (3-4mths). Not much, an oz or less in between feeds. He was born in the middle of summer, and was hot/sweaty and wanted to feed continuously. And this was not during growth spurts. He also hated it, but slowly learned to drink it. He's now 6 yrs and till today, prefers water over juices.

southside852 is offline Registered User

Similar to Rani, we offered our son water before 6 months just as a test to see if he would take it which he did! As a result, he loves water and can switch back and forth between water and his formula without a problem. He drinks between 180-200 ML of water between meals during snack time. I think like many have said in this thread that some babies are just water drinkers while others are not. your baby will let you know when they are ready...

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahinHK View Post
    Hi Katebabe,

Just wondering why you are trying to supplement your baby's diet with water? At 5 months of age breastmilk/formula is the main source of nutrients for your baby and given that breastmilk is 87% water, as long as your baby is feeding regularly dehydration shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Sarah
    Even babies who drink plenty of formula often get constipated (almost every one of my friends who used formula has had significant problems with constipation)--rarely an issue with breastmilk--and in the hot summers in HK it can be a pretty big issue. And when your baby is screaming in pain and has a hard tummy because they are so constipated from formula you have to supplement with something--no matter how you do it.

Most books I've looked at say that it's okay to start adding small amounts of other liquids at 4-6 months, depending on baby's development and ability to handle it.

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rani View Post
    I gave our son water quite early (3-4mths). Not much, an oz or less in between feeds. He was born in the middle of summer, and was hot/sweaty and wanted to feed continuously. And this was not during growth spurts. He also hated it, but slowly learned to drink it. He's now 6 yrs and till today, prefers water over juices.
    We also offered our son water around this age but no luck--I just think some babies don't want water--or other liquids beside milk. And you can offer and offer but it's all about if and when the child decides he/she wants to accept.

It's so good your son likes water over juices--that's how my siblings and I are--because my mom only allowed us juice or soda on special occasions (birthdays). So, in the summer when other moms were making kool-aid and frozen juice pops for their kids, we were sucking on water ice pops! Love it! When I was about 5-years-old I attended a day camp and they offered me juice and I actually asked, "What is this? Can I have water?" I still drink at least two litres a day!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12