Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help! My baby refuses to drink water!

Katebabe is offline Registered User

Help! My baby refuses to drink water!

Hi,

My baby is now 5 months old. I've been trying hard to feed her water (between 2 feedings and when starting a feeding) but she just refuses that, keep turning her head when seeing a water bottle. She sometimes only drink 10-20ml water a day, sometimes even less. I feed her half breastmilk half formula nowadays but I will be starting to give her solid food soon. That is why I am getting more worried that she may get constipation easily.

Is there anything / any trick that I can try? Thanks for your advice!

MLBW Guest
    My son was the same way! It's frustrating, right?... and you're always worried they're going to get dehydrated--it's not such a big deal now but my son was turning 5 months-old this past summer so the weather was hot. He would absolutely not drink water, even though we added juice to it or a bit of sugar--nothing helped. So, we just started adding more water to his formula (although some people would freak out if they heard this--really, this was the only way to get him more fluid at first--the boy wasn't having a poop for like 10-12 days and was crying and miserable!)

About the constipation--a few things helped. First, when I started him on solid foods, I blended pureed apples into everything (the sweetness would make him eat almost anything that had apples in it--even meat or other veggies)--I also added olive oil to his cereal with apples in it. Then later, I added a bit of pure maple syrup to his cereal (it has somewhat of a laxative effect in babies).

The thing that completely alleviated any constipation at all was that I started feeding him goat's milk when he was 8 months old--the brand I used was Meyers (you can get it at a Healthy Concepts in Causeway Bay)--not Karihome, which is a formula powder of goat's milk--whereas, Meyers is just pure goat's milk in powdered form. On the goat's milk he never got constipated at all. To supplement for vitamin D, I bought a liquid plant-based supplement that you can give to a baby that has bilberry juice in it for flavor--mixed that with frozen blueberry puree and he loved it!

Another trick we found is that our son loves ice. He wouldn't drink water but would suck on ice chips. Also, if we took any liquid and put it in ice form, he would accept it.

Give it a try and let me know if any of those work for you. Hope something does. :0)

southside852 is offline Registered User
    have you tried changing the proportions of his formula? so for example if he drinks 150 ML of water that would mean 5 scoops of formula. try changing it to just 3 scoops so it's more water based.

Thank you

Thanks MLBW and Southside852 for your advice! It's good that I can learn from you here as Katelyn is my first baby so I'm not an experienced mother. I will try to adjust the proportion of formula. BTW, do you have any good recommendation of rice cereal? I am looking for something without sugar added and preferably organic.

fingerscrossed is offline Registered User
    When I first introduced my baby to water, I put it in a bottle and of course he didn't want it. Then I used a sippy cup and he started drinking more. Babies associate the bottle to milk so when something different is put in there, they don't like it. Try using a sippy cup or my friend tried giving water with a spoon and that worked for her. With the cereal, I use Healthy Times both the brown rice and barley (i think that's what it's called) and my baby likes it.

Good Luck!

rebekah is offline Registered User
    I suggest you talk to your ped about it. giving too much water is often much more dangerous than not enough. giving formula in incorrect proportions can be very dangerous. it is a really good idea to run it by the doctor.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    when we sleep trained our son at around 8 months old, my american doctor is actually the one who suggested re-working the proportions of the water to formula powder. he said there were no harmful effects, but if you are worried then definitely run it by your doctor as well.

Thanks everyone for your advice!
    Fingerscrossed - I like the idea of using a cup. I will buy a baby training cup soon and try it out! Fingerscrossed!! :-D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast