Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Admission & things to bring to QMH

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User
    Pekkie,

They administer the PKU test on the last morning before you check out so my guess is you hand over the check at that time because I think it was administered by an outside lab. I declined it when my LO was born because I also had never heard of it! After I left the hospital though I regretted it because I then did the research and discovered it is a fairly routine procedure for checking a genetic disorder that needs to be detected early. I ended up having to go to a paed to get it done and ended up paying a lot more. Also I think it is only done if one or more parent is caucasian which is why it is the one procedure that is not covered by QMH.

Matty is offline Registered User
    I just had hubby bring the cheque when I checked out.

Yes, it is only offerered whe parents are Caucasian. Though research does show any race can carry it, it is less common in Asians.
    It is a simple heel prick test that shows whether your child has phenylketonuria, which is easily treatable, and if undetected can lead to mental retardation.

carang is offline Registered User
    hmmm... interesting... i never had a hospital tour as i spent so much time there before the birth. no one offered this test to either or my kids (one parent caucasian other chinese)...

i'm happy to say that it doesn't seem to have been necessary as both of my kids are developing normally and are very healthy and active 2 & 4 year olds.

Pekkie is offline Registered User
    hey, thanks for the information! since both me and hubby are chinese I guess it doesn't apply to us then.

anyone have any idea how big is the storage locker in the ward? i'm packing my hospital bags and since the hospital provides minimal stuff, I'm putting in so many things I'm not sure if it fits the locker ??!!

carang is offline Registered User
    they are VERY small... remember, you need clothes to come home in. i used the same clothes to go home as i did to go to the hospital. that cut down.

the other thing is that hubby can bring you other things... i also always took my own pillow.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    PKU test is only for Caucasian babies. Until VERY recently, none of the public hospitals in HK offered this service because Asian babies are not in any threat (how's that for latent racism?). They now offer the service, but you need to prepare a cheque for $250.00. It's made out for a private HK lab (Path Lab, but I can't remember the exact business name, sorry).

Once baby is born, they will ask you if you want the test (cheaper to do it here than in a private clinic). If so, you give them the cheque.

http://children.webmd.com/phenylketonuria-pku-test

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12