Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Queen Mary - Am I eligible to be a public patient?

MuminHK is offline Registered User

Queen Mary - Am I eligible to be a public patient?

Hi

I was hoping someone would be able to help me out with this question. I will be moving to Hong Kong when I am roughly 20 weeks pregnant, and am thinking of going to Queen Mary because I won't have insurance. I have read up in the forum about the difference between public & private etc etc. But I did have a couple further questions on QM.

My husband has a permanent HK ID card (it has 3 stars?) and I'm applying for a dependant spouse resident ID card (but I've been told it won't have 3 stars?). So, with this ID card, will I be able to be treated at the Queen Mary as a public patient? or will I need to be admitted as a private patient?

Also, I'm thinking about having an elective c-section done. Do Queen Mary cater for booking elective c-section as a public patient? or will I need to wait until I go into labour and see what they think on the day?

Thanks

Nic
    Nic is offline Registered User
    As long as you have a HKID card it doesnt matter how many stars it has you can be treated at QM or any other public hospital.
    You do not get to choose which public hospital you deliver at it depends upon your address, I dont know where exactly you have to live to be covered by QM- Midlevels, Pok Fu Lam, Discovery Bay are definitely in QM catchment.

Cant help much on the C-Section issue as I had VB but I think I am right is saying that unless you have serious medical reasons they will not do an elective CS, but I am sure there are other people on this forum that can give you a better answer.

carey is offline Registered User
    "Do Queen Mary cater for booking elective c-section as a public patient? or will I need to wait until I go into labour and see what they think on the day?"

I've heard people told me that public hospital don't perform C-section until the last minute they think it's necessary.

fee
    fee is offline Registered User
    Is this your first baby? I am at Prince of Wales and they would prefer I had and elective C-section, based on my first two kids births.

jaz1311 is offline Registered User
    Hi

Unforunately QM do not cater for elective C-section, they only perform c-section if its for medical reason.

carang is offline Registered User
    ok... to clear up any confusion...

at public hospitals you cannot opt for a c-section, just because you don't want to have a natural delivery.

you CAN opt for a c-section if you have medical conditions that MAY warrant a c-section in the end. THIS is what they call an elective c-section.

they DO NOT wait until the last minute for c-sections, unless you are in labour and there are serious complications.

i had two children at QMH.

the first was an "emergency" c-section, although i had been in the hospital for 2-3 weeks prior to delivery, they were holding off trying to keep the baby in-utero for as long as possible so that he would have the best chance. once i got to 37 weeks, AND they found that i was developing pre-eclampsia, YES they got the baby out 3 hours later. in THAT sense they left it to the last minute, NOT because they couldnt' be bothered to schedule one, but because they didn't know when they would have to deliver him.

for the second, i had an "elective" c-section. i had serious medical problems and was confined to a wheelchair. due to this and other medical conditions that i had, the doctors AND I decided that it would be in the best interest of the baby and myself to deliver her early. she was technically premature as she was born before 37 weeks, even if only by a few days.

so, yes, they do perform 'elective' c-sections, but not in the sense that they are elective because you chose that form of delivery. there MUST be a medical reason for the procedure.

MuminHK is offline Registered User
    OK, so if I'm planning on living in Kowloon.. does that mean I can only go to the Prince of Wales? I haven't read up much on the Prince of Wales - is it as reputable as QMH? Has anyone had good / bad experiences there?

And thanks for the clarification on the elective c-section. I am thinking to go elective c-section because I had an emergency one for my first born, but guess i'm not too fussed if they decide that medically I can't schedule one beforehand.

carang is offline Registered User
    if you had a c-section for your first, they are more likely to go with your request for one for your second.