Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Long haul flight with 1 year old

geomum is offline Registered User

Long haul flight with 1 year old

Hi everyone,

I am sure many of you might have taken long haul flights with their babies ages above 9- 10 months. I am freaking out thinking how I am going to manage my very active daughter on a 11 hour flight to New Zealand end Feb. We can't book bulkhead seats as of now since they are reserved in advance for babies under 8 months only. And a bassinet is also out of the question. We'll be flying at night so is holding her in our lap, while she sleeps, the only option? (It seems like a very tough proposition since she weights 12 kgs). Or do we book a separate seat for her? How did you manage?

PS: Info would be helpful from those who travelled Economy Class :))

coorey is offline Registered User
    Hi... We have travelled regularly with our now 17 month old (& did the same with my son who is now much older) at both ends of the plane. For my sanity - the only way I could do it after they were 6 months (or sitting up) was to book a seat for them. I then take their car seat (which reclines) on board and they both slept throughout the night flights. Recommend you also take muslin wraps that you hang from the ceiling with blue tak to block prying eyes and from distractions for your baby. Looks weird but it works! You also need to ensure you book the car seat ahead of time, so that they allocate the right seat for you. We always get the bulkhead as our car seat does not require bolting to the wall (like Australian & NZ car seats). Hope this helps...

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    Book a seat and bring your car seat at this age. Make sure your car seat brand is approved by the airline (most major brands are; check your manual or the stickers on your seat). It will be the easiest and safest way to travel at this age.

They'll probably won't give you bulk head unless there are no babies traveling on board (so no need for bassinets). CX still gives us bulkhead when possible, just because it's easier to move in and out of your seat.

Also check www.seatguru.com to see which seats / rows are better. Exit rows are obviously not possible with kids.

joshsmum is offline Registered User
    I've travelled regularly with my baby boy who is now 9.5 months old - last trip was in Dec/Jan to Australia. I have always taken a sling on board and had him sleep on me in the sling and previously always got the bulk head / bassinet seat (although I haven't used the bassinet since he was younger). I did find it a bit hard last trip and next time will consider starting to book an extra seat for him. I never thought to take a carseat on board?

Intresting about the policy that's it's for under 8 months old only - which airline is that?

Belinda

dimsum mum is offline Registered User
    we travelled with four kids under three to canada and mum2sophie's advice worked best for us: carseats and booking separate seats.
    travelling at night is also a huge blessing!

geomum is offline Registered User
    Thanks guys, I have just now booked a separate seat for my daughter but I don't own a car seat :( So will a seat for her be any use??? Maybe after she wakes up in the morning we can make her sit there. But still will have to hold her in our laps while she is sleeping.
    Joshsmum we are travelling by New Zealand Air. Any experience travelling NZ Air?

southside852 is offline Registered User
    book a seat and bring your baby carrier. i would advise to ditch the carseat as we brought it on board with us on our flight from HK to Hawaii via Japan and it was a total waste as he spent more time with us then in it and it actually takes up valuable space. the bulk head too is not worth it if you're not in a bassinet as the arms do not move. this was key for us as we were able to put up the arms in economy and our then 12 month year old could lie out while sleeping.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    If you don't have a car seat, you'll have the extra space to lay your child down. Personally I liked car seats under 18 months old, but then it's very different whether you just fly with 1, or with 3 (or 4 like dimsum mum). With one ... honestly everything is fairly straight forward. With 3 young children it's hard ... what do you do when #1 needs to go potty and you have 2 x 13 mo sitting there without a car seat?

Every situation is different but an extra seat is always worth it on the long haul. Car seats are a must with multiple (young) children since you need to keep them save while you are helping another child (or have to go to the restroom yourself). Without a car seat, you have more space to lay your child down and then, a bulkhead is not ideal (since armrests don't move up, like mentioned). So again, it depends on the situation (and on the child).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast