Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Montessori School of Hong Kong

JORDANSPARENTS is offline Registered User

Unhappy We cannot agree with your comments more

We agree totally with all the comments here about this school. We too have now withdrawn our son from this school as we are so disappointed as well as disillusioned at how a school purporting to be teaching the "right ways" to bring up our children can on the other hand be so blatantly dishonest and deceitful about it's operations. We had no idea when we first encountered this school about the very numerous bad reports on countless forums in Hong Kong, that have been posted about the school , it's past and present staff and poor "customer relations". Had we known earlier then we would perhaps have never chosen this school in the first place.

However in fairness, during the period that our son has attended, he has learnt a lot and his experiences have only been positive in my view. Yes the school certainly has a lot to learn in how to better manage and operate as a reputable and honest establishment, but I think that the legal points aside, there has been some good teaching skills from Monika and others that can be seen in the positive developments that our son has shown when he has returned home. It is therefore a huge disappointment that because of short sighted management, lack of investment into the school facilities and poor attitudes towards naturally concerned parents, that this school may perhaps close down as there will soon be no more children left to attend.

Tonyt is offline Registered User

Montessori Move

Hi there,

I just saw the latest entries and again I need to say, that you are asking the wrong people. In such a forum anyone unqualified and desperate for attention can answer your questions.

I am a parent of that particular school and went through several ups and downs. I left the school once and returned after 6 month. Yes, finding quality education in Hong Kong is difficult and I decided this school was the best for my child.

I have seen the new premises. It is clean, it is save and the children like it very much. The rooms are bright abd the bathrooms are completely new.

My child adapted very fast and loves going there. Therefore I feel I need to defend the school in his name.

The school has never bad mouthed any other school, but encouraged us to go and have a look and make our choice. I made a choice and so did you. And that is all you have to do now. Do you want to continue with the education given or not. That is the question and nothing else. One thing I have learned by checking out other schools is that: A school is only as good as its teachers and the teachers at this Montessori School are good. We will stay.

Some more questions for you who are busy trying to answer MSUNs questions:
    1. Why did you send you child to the school, if you did not like it? You always had the choice to leave.
    2. What is your motive to badmouth the efforts of a school that is determined to provide good education?
    3. Why don't you just go and ask your questions? There is a parent hotline, so if you are a parent you knpw where to call. That's what I did.
    4. Good luck finding another school that is so involved!

Cheers!

bjushk is offline Registered User
    Hi there,

I am a new user to this forum. We are moving to HK from US this summer. Searching for HK schools for my two kids (5 1/2 and 3) has been a major challenge! Both of my kids attend a Montessori school in the US now. So I have been researching for Montessori schools in HK. Montessori School of Hong Kong at Pokfulam Road seems to be a good one based on the information on their web site. Is this the same school on everyone is talking about on this discussion thread? Any advice on any other Montessori schools I should look at is much appreciated! (I am looking schools at Pokfulam, The Belcher, Western District, and Sheung Wan). Thanks much!

rani is offline Administrator
    The Montessori School on Caine Rd, moved to Pok Fu Lam Rd.
    To be honest it looks quite small.

nessacarrie is offline Registered User
    the montessori school on Pokfulam Road is just right down on my flat. the place was a cafe for ages before i was born and the cafed ended the business when i was in secondary school. it's been emptied for more than 10 years i think and now it's the montessori school. yes it is a small place but i dnt know the teaching method. as far as i know they use english, cantonese and mandarin, it is a tri-lingual pre-school. you can also try Woodland Pre-schools, they have 3 montessori schools and 7 traditional schools.

VgSan is offline Registered User
    Hi all...

I would like to know the current status of this school (Montessori School of Hong Kong, Pok Fu Lam Road) as I am considering this school for my son. Is any currently experiencing parents here? Is any improvement in their management as there are so many complaints about their poor management.

The reason why I am still interested in this school is,

1) I am really impressed with their education system and teaching method (got from their website) and this is what I am looking for.
    2) There are some good comments about their education system in this thread and most of the bad comments are about their poor management only.

I am also interested in knowing about their old students' progress now. Also please advice me some other schools with the same education system.

Thanks in advance.

thompsonsparent is offline Registered User
    My son and daughter went to this school since 2009 til few months ago because the whole family had to leave Hong Kong to Shanghai. I accidentally stumbled into this website and felt that it is necessary for me to defend this school among all these negative reviews. For the past two years, the staff and teachers in this school have worked their best for the interest of my children (and I believe to others as well). I admit that the new site in Pokfulam road is much smaller than the old one in Caine Road yet I do not find it a problem at all since the school altered its teacher student ratio to 1:5-8. I have been into the new site before, it is clean and organized. They also have a full time cleaner (which I apologize for forgetting her name all the time but she is always friendly) stationed in the school. My son and daughter progressed very well in the school, they worked with almost all of the Montessori materials, and have established a very solid foundation for English, Mandarin and even a little bit of Cantonese!(We are not locals FYI). They have also maintained very good manners in school. They know how to share, and how to take turns (something highly emphasized in this school). I did hear some negative reviews about the school when it was relocated to Pokfulam Road, mostly were furious parents not happy with the new location rather than the old one in Caine Road. Though it is true that the school lacks certain transparency in the school's management, I feel that it was a right decision to send my children in two years ago. I do not agree with some of the biased comments above, and would suggest that any parents who are interested should visit the school and see for themselves.

VgSan is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thompsonsparent View Post
    My son and daughter went to this school since 2009 til few months ago because the whole family had to leave Hong Kong to Shanghai. I accidentally stumbled into this website and felt that it is necessary for me to defend this school among all these negative reviews. For the past two years, the staff and teachers in this school have worked their best for the interest of my children (and I believe to others as well). I admit that the new site in Pokfulam road is much smaller than the old one in Caine Road yet I do not find it a problem at all since the school altered its teacher student ratio to 1:5-8. I have been into the new site before, it is clean and organized. They also have a full time cleaner (which I apologize for forgetting her name all the time but she is always friendly) stationed in the school. My son and daughter progressed very well in the school, they worked with almost all of the Montessori materials, and have established a very solid foundation for English, Mandarin and even a little bit of Cantonese!(We are not locals FYI). They have also maintained very good manners in school. They know how to share, and how to take turns (something highly emphasized in this school). I did hear some negative reviews about the school when it was relocated to Pokfulam Road, mostly were furious parents not happy with the new location rather than the old one in Caine Road. Though it is true that the school lacks certain transparency in the school's management, I feel that it was a right decision to send my children in two years ago. I do not agree with some of the biased comments above, and would suggest that any parents who are interested should visit the school and see for themselves.
    Thanks thompsonsparent. I've just sent PM to you. Please do reply.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12