Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Peanuts vs. Peanut Butter

southside852 is offline Registered User

Peanuts vs. Peanut Butter

I know that peanuts/nuts are not supp to be given to your baby until at least 3 years old or never if they are at risk for an allergy, but what about peanut butter? isn't that the same? but then i noticed Annabel Karmel uses it in her recipes for 12 month years old and she wouldn't use it if it wasn't safe for the little ones.

I cannot help but think my 13 month year old would still have trouble swallowing it b/c of its sticky nature.

Has anyone fed their child peanut butter???? Would love some feedback on this.
    Last edited by southside852; 02-06-2009 at 09:45 AM.

carang is offline Registered User
    both of my kids had it. you just need a VERY little bit. my girl actually had it earlier than 12months because she always stole her brother's
    "pooh bear bread" --peanut butter sandwich cut into small squares

Portia is offline Registered User
    No. I have not fed my two year old either peanuts or peanut butter (no difference as peanut butter is still made from peanuts) as his doc said to wait until he was three to avoid allergies. But interestingly, there was a study last year that said that peanut allergies may be more common in those who wait to introduce peanuts. Here's a link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27596933/. This is all very confusing!

tstmum is offline Registered User
    I know that some baby/toddler recipe books include peanut butter in recipes for quite young children, but I would advise caution in introducing peanut butter to your child.

I waited until my son was 2 years old to give him peanut butter - he did not like it at all, it hardly went into his mouth, but within minutes was having a severe allergic reaction (rash, hives, face swelling) and we had to rush him to hospital. Fortunately, it did not affect his breathing on this occasion but it's possible any reaction in the future could be worse. Now we carry an Epi-pen just in case of emergencies. Most people are very understanding when I ask of any new food (particularly cakes, cookies and Asian food) whether it contains any nuts.

joshsmum is offline Registered User
    I thought that you didn't give whole nuts until 3 years of age because of the risk of choking and that you didn't give nuts and peanut butter to under 12 months because of the risk of alergies.

That's just what I have in my head, so I could be wrong! I was planning on giving peanut butter after 12 months.

Belinda

Belinda

carang is offline Registered User
    both of my kids also had whole peanuts UNDER SUPERVISION by the time they were 18-20 months.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    so i guess it sounds like personal choice then after 12 months? those who have given it in sandwich form - your bubs were ok swallowing it? i assume just a thin layer was it....

HappyV is offline Registered User
    I'm with Joshsmum - after 12 months for allergy purposes, and after 3 for choking.

And it aklso depends on your family history - hubby and I both have nut allergies, and hence are quite cautious.

Also important to know that for many children, the allergy might not present itself on the first go - but on the second or third.

The first three times we gave our son peanut butter, we made sure we were within two minutes of a doctor's office....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast