Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

antenatal depression?

louloute is offline Registered User

antenatal depression?

Hi all,
    I am 10 weeks pregnant and cannot enjoy my pregnancy anymore since 3 weeks.
    I am exhausted all day long, have no ability to focus on anything, and just want to sleep to numb my boring feeling and tiredness.
    I wonder if some actual mothers had experience this feeling, how long it had been lasting, if it stopped?

These feelings are making me forget that I have a baby inside, and will have to take care of him, depressed or not.
    Right now, my husband seems to feel closer to our baby than me who is carrying him, that's strange.
    The other problem is that I began some psychology studies by e-learning, and I can't work on it at all! I can't even understand Time Out magazine anymore!! :O see how numb I am!

Any tips are welcome

putput is offline Registered User
    Hello,

Sorry to read you're feeling low. Hopefully, you'll start to feel better in a couple of weeks. These feelings are not uncommon in the first 3 months, and are no reflection on how you'll feel/be able to cope after baby is born.

Have you suffered from depression before? If so, you may want to discuss with your ob/gyn or dr. If not, then this is not necessarily depression as much as it is the usual exhaustion and 'spaced out' feeling that can come with pregnancy, especially in the first few months due to the massive hormonal changes.

Best of luck with your pregnancy and hope you can start to enjoy it soon.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Your hormones have gone crazy - it affects everyone differently. Try not to have too many expectations of yourself, like you`re supposed to be bonding with this little growth inside you, you`re supposed to be happy, excited, whatever. There`s no supposed to. The first trimester for many is not a fun time -for me I pretty much stayed in bed as I felt ill all the time and couldn`t stomach most kinds of food.
    I would say to just wait it out a bit more - you`re still only 10 weeks pregnant and have a ways to go. Things won`t stay the same.
    Good luck and I hope things change for you soon.

Matty is offline Registered User
    Prenatal depression is actually very common and very treatable.
    If you need to see someone I can recommend Dr Sarah Borwein. She is a part of Dr Lucy Lords practice in Central.

babymommy2 is offline Registered User
    I guess you'll need to figure out if you are truely depressed or if you are just exhausted from the normal 1st trimester hormone changes. Prenatal depression is a big risk factor for postpartum depression. If you are concerned you should definatly talk to your doctor. On the other hand if it is from the normal exhaustion, then you should start to feel better in a few weeks. I wouldn't worry too much about not feeling contected to the baby yet. I didn'f feel pregnant at all until I could feel the baby move, then my pregnancy was much more satisfying. It is okay to not feel happy all the time. Pregnacy is NOT a time of constant happiness like it is portrayed to be. Who is going to feel happy if you are tired all the time, have insomnia (all of which affect mood and memory) feel nauseated, can't eat, etc.

This site has some good info on the first trimester

http://www.womenshealth.gov/Pregnancy/pregnancy/1st.cfm

If you think your feelings are above and beyond the norm, you should talk to your doctor.

gldd is offline Registered User
    I recommend you to try some alternative treatments to ease out the physical and psychological tensions in your body. Some of my friends try Integrative Manual therapy, Craniosacral therapy, Naturopathy. They have positive feedbacks. I have heard others trying homeopathy and acupuncture. Some said that pre-natal pilates or yoga are good. Hope this helps.

louloute is offline Registered User
    Hi all,
    Thanks very much for your kind messages. I feel still tired, but my mood is really better since the day I posted this message.
    I actually did a body talk system session and the practitionner worked on hormone inbalances in my body. Don't ask me how it works, I still can't figure out, the only thing I know is that it's about energy and "talking" to the body. For tiredness, some family sent me some homepathy treatment that I will soon receive.

Thanks for all your tips and the links for informations. The womenshealth.gov" website is the best I ever read about pregnancy, very complete.
    About Integrative Manual therapy and Craniosacral therapy , I never heard about these and will certainly search what it is about.

I hope the sadness ,insecurity and failure feelings are gone for good!