Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Heating solids

Kat76 is offline Registered User

Red face Heating solids

My baby has been on solids/purees for a couple of weeks now. I freeze portions in ice cube trays then pop them into zipocks in the freezer. I defrost them in the fridge overnight then heat in the microwave untill piping hot.

My questions are..
    do you need to heat fruit purees?
    How do I heat solids while out and about? can you heat them and use a thermos?

Any advice welcome!

southside852 is offline Registered User

anything i froze, i defrosted in the microve and then heated up again until piping hot as to kill all bacteria.

while out and about, i always took things that after i heated up, would not spoil if out for an hour or so (ie. things with formula in it etc...). I didn't have a thermos so I am not sure about heating it up via that. if we went away on trips, i always had the kitchen heat things up for me in my own microwave safe dish.

hope that helps.

Polly is offline Registered User

If baby has only just started solids you don't need to stress about trying to feed him solids when out and about as milk remains his main source of nutrition during his first 12 months. So, rather than stress, in these early weeks and months of introducing him to new tastes and textures just keep it to when you're at home and just give him milk when you're out and about. Remember, there's more calories in milk than there are in solids so he'll be more than content with milk - thank goodness; it's so much easier.

I remember bringing my 7 month old back from the UK thinking I had to give her solids on the journey back. It just wasn't happening and gave up worrying about it and just breastfed her and she was more than content with that and certainly not hungry.

Kat76 is offline Registered User

Thanks Polly. I have been stressing about it a bit! Should I try to stick to regular times though?

i think when you are trying to wean, it's important to stay as consistent as possible. if you're baby does not take purees during one feed, don't worry about. just try again the next one. the act of pushing the food back to swallow is something they are just learning and can be hard at times. my son was just in his first month of weaning when we moved to HK. We flew from NYC to HK and I brought only 2 small jars on board to see if he would take it and of course he didn't so I just gave him formula. your baby will let you know when he/she has not had enough to eat/drink.

babymommy2 is offline Registered User

If the food was okay to eat when it went in the freezer, it is also fine to eat when you thaw it out. No need to heat any of it to piping hot to kill any bacteria. It won't be growing bacteria in the freezer.

it's actually really important to re-heat frozen food until you see steam because of bacteria etc..

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/sta...arefoodsafely/

http://www.annabelkarmel.com/feature...onths/freezing

and only reheat food once.

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User

Actually heat kills nutrients in food so best not to heat more than necessary. I am with babymommy2 and do not heat my thawed food much, only to get it to slightly warmer than room temperature. Bacteria multiplies with exposure to air and at room/body temperature so as long as your food is handled correctly in the freezing and thawing process, no need to heat until piping hot. (Never let food sit at room temperature, no thawing any food at room temperature and keep the food cold as close to feeding as possible.)

I am certainly no expert but this is what I have been doing with my now 11-month old. Sources for this are Ruth Yaron's Super Baby Food as well as wholsomebabyfood.com (http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/hea...debabyfood.htm)

Kat76, for fruit purees, best not to heat them at all but just thaw in the fridge or else you end up killing all the good nutrients.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast