Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

suggestions on when/how to look for PT helper?

solidstars is offline Registered User

suggestions on when/how to look for PT helper?

i'm due end of March 09, my maternity leave starts early MArch, not sure when i should start looking for a PT helper?

i am considering just going back to work pt after my maternity leave and was ideally thinking the helper would look after the baby/apartment the few hours in the am that i'm at work... but i've read on here that many recommend hiring a helper even during maternity leave so that i can get to know her better/etc?

when should i start looking and the longer question, where and how???

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Hi, I would definitely try to find someone to start during your maternity leave. You'll get adequate time to know them and they will get to know you and your baby. Also, it will give you a little 'me time' to get out and about without the bub.

Do you have friends with helpers? Maybe get them to put the word out and recommend friends. There are (usually childless) couples and singles that allow their full time helpers to take on part time work or 'share' with others.

Legality is of course an issue and to be wholly above board you will need to look at a local hire or someone with a full work visa. That will be more expensive as they charge hourly. Then you need to weigh up the cost of a local part time vs a full time DH (the difference is often negligible)

thanks leahH! i will definitely try and do that, unfortunately not many of my friends have helpers...

do you happen to know what is the 'usual' range of costs for hourly rates for helpers in hong kong? also, it's normal to ask them for references right?

does anyone have experiences with those employment agencies or have a reliable one i can go to?

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Local, legal PT helpers charge $50-60/hour. In these times, you may be able to negotiate a monthly deal as work is hard to come by.

Yes, it's a good idea to have references. Most will have completed a training course.

Check their ID card too to make sure they are resident in HK. If it says they have 'right of abode' on the back, you're ok. All Filipinas on FDH contracts do not have the right to take on extra work and both the helper and employer commits an offence if they enter into an agreement.

Consider: language difficulties. If you only speak English, it'll be difficult to find a local helper that does.

You can go to the labour dept or ERB for placements. PM me for details.

We hired a very nice Chinese lady through this method many years ago and I can refer her if you like.

Good luck!
    Last edited by kashismum; 02-13-2009 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Add info

thanks kashismum! if you could pm me her details? i can speak cantonese so that shouldn't be a problem. i'll probably start looking and seeing people when i go on maternity leave...

what kind of monthly deal is good? am i supposed to prepare a contract too?

LeahH is offline Registered User
    I have a monthly deal for 3k (4-5 hours per day - 6 days a week), filipina, not local. She's very flexible and will go with whatever we need.

If you need someone for just a few times a week, then it's fine - if it's every day the cost becomes reasonably close to a full time wage for a DH though which is what I meant about considering whether PT is really worth it.

We have 1 FT already and are about to have our PT go full time when our second bub arrives, after my mat leave finishes.

bendou is offline Registered User
    LeahH,

How did you find your part-time helper? Did you go through an agency? I'm interested too. Thanks.

Thanks LeahH!

I was about to ask the same question as bendou. I'm only thinking M-F for about 4-5 hours a day so PT may work better for me. Did you find her through an agency?