Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Diaper rash with some blood in newborn

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Diaper rash with some blood in newborn

I noticed my 1 month old had developed a bit of a diaper rash so I was using zinc cream for a couple of days. But tonight when my husband was changing his diaper he noticed some blood on the diaper rash area (outside his bum crack). I googled it and I read that if a diaper rash happens to a baby less than 6 weeks old, to call the doctor. This sounds a bit conservative to me, no?
    So, I`m just wondering though, have you experienced a diaper rash with blood (almost like it was chafed too much), and do you think he needs to see a doctor? Surely it`s not so serious.
    We just dried it completely, used water instead of wipes (though alcohol free) and used the zinc cream again. He wears disposable diapers. and I REALLY hesitate about letting him go diaper-free because he`s always pooing and peeing - its like one constant slow poop:)
    Thanks!

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    It could be fungal infection and you will need to see your Dr for some anti-fungal cream to clear it up. My bub also developed this (but I didn't see blood) when he was 3 weeks and my Dr prescribed the anti-fungal cream and it cleared up within 2 weeks. I also just used water to clean him, pat dry and changed his diaper very frequently. I also use Tushies diapers which are gel and chlorine free and supposed to help reduce diaper rash.

If your seeing blood it might be best to take him to the Dr just in case it is a fungal infection.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Thanks - I was afraid also it was a fungal infection so I took him to the doctor (by the way, if anyone is in SZ, I went to a really great pediatrician if you want recommendations). Turned out not to be, and the zinc cream is working, albeit a bit slowly.
    What country brand is Tushies? I don`t recall seeing that here.